I don't know if this is normal??

My son's penis doesn't stay out at all...he was circumcised at birth and we did the whole push the foreskin back and still do but everytime I change him it is never out and when I push skin back in goes right back into the foreskin. Is this normal for him not to ever stick out? I work at an in home daycare and when I change the other boys diapers there's look normal. Should i be taking him into the dr for this? My son will be 20 months on sept 2.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ??? If your son was circ'ed,he doesn't have a foreskin. Did you mean WASN"T? You're not suppose to retract a baby's foreskin,it naturally does it on its own by 7 or so. Normally a male's penis only comes out when erect.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• its normal in boys who have been mutilated, the foreskin reattaches. you should leave it alone. It should at least partially self correct when he reaches sexual maturity
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I should clarify that it is the DRs discretion how much of the foreskin to take, taking more means damage to the penile shaft, and later in life possible sexual dysfunction. It is becoming more common for more of the foreskin to be left.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thank you ObbyDobbie...that makes sense b/c he has so much more extra skin than the other boys I watch down there. I was really worried.
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If your son is circumcised he DOES NOT have a foreskin and you likely mean it goes into the fat pad. If you indeed did mean he was circumsized then it is doing what most boys who have been cut do and that is the body is trying to heal the wound by reattaching itself. If he is indeed intact then you should NOT be doing anything to his penis. The only person who ever retracts an intact penis is the OWNER no ifs and or buts about it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• i am pretty sure he will grow out of it just be patient
    winterj

Answer by winterj at 6:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He is circumcised and I guess it would be the fat pad as aeneva said. There is just a lot of extra skin that the penis seems to retract back into everytime. I was told by dr to clean it? Which is why i push the skin back when i change his diaper/bathe him
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It seems like what word to use is confusing things... But I think I understand that your circumcised son has a penis that retracts back into a bunch of baggy skin. You are wondering if that is normal, right? That sounds normal for males. It shouldn't stick out unless he gets an erection (which is something babies do get - it's physical, not sexual). Yes, you should make sure to clean his penis well, including in the folds of the skin so you may need to very gently move a bit of the skin aside to get it all clean. Sounds perfectly normal.

But at his next check-up, absolutely talk to his doctor about any question you have! Ask if his anatomy looks right, though I'm positive that this is one of the standard things doctors check at birth and at each check-up. And go ahead and ask for clarification on how to clean his penis properly (we're women, we need to learn somehow!)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010