How do you answer a nosy question? What do you say when you do not want to tell you or your family's business?

My in laws are having some marital issues. My brother in law's ex somehow found out and is asking me. Her and I are friends but I'm not comfortable answering her questions and I don't want it to seem as if I don't trust her but...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• "I'm not at liberty to answer"

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Ask her an excessively personal question, then she should take a hint.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Usually a "why do you ask when you know I can't break (my husbands) trust by answering" does the trick.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• "Anything I might say would sound to you like gossip, and I refuse to participate in that."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Tell her you've been specifically told not to and you wouldn't want to break their trust, make out it's nothing personal or anything.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Tell her it's not your business...which will elude to her that it's not hers either.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• just say that you have no idea and thats its none of your business what is going on between your inlaws as it is none of hers. what is going on between them is their business and only theirs.
    if she wants to know then she should ask them.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would play dumb, say they aren't talking about it and you really aren't sure what's going on. That way you aren't gossiping and you don't risk your relationship with her, some of the above responses may sound a bit gruff.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with leah rai
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If they wanted her to know their issues, they'd have told her themselves. If she wants to know, direct her to ask them. It's not your place to be in the middle, nothing good will come of that.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010