i just brought home a new dog 1 yo male who was abused by a drunk male.

an elderly lady took him in and he was great for he and her 2 yo grandaughter who lived with her, but due to eye surgery asked if i woulkd take him, the only problem is he snaps at my husband, but adores my children, is he worth trying to save? or is it even possible?

Dereks-Babydoll

Asked by Dereks-Babydoll at 6:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pets

• The animal may be savable..but it's going to be a very long slow process and hubby is going to have to play a big part. With a family that's a lot of committment. In your shoes I might try to find a single Mom or a widowed older woman to take him. It will be stressful for you and the dog.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• it is going to take a bit of work on your husbands part to help gain his trust.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He is reacting out of fear. I would speak to a professional trainer. They are good with that stuff.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• no,a biter will bite again and again. You don't know that he won't bite the kids. I'm living proof that a "snapper" can do major damage. My aunt's dog nearly tore my top lip off when I was 11. 27 outer,and 14 inner stitches later my lip was back on.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If you could help him over his mistrust of men he'd be fine. I work with a major dog rescue in minneapolis. We see this all the time. Sorry to post twice, I was just thinkin!lol Once again, look for people who specialize in behavior problems. I think when he feels safe it will stop. Was your hubby trying to pet him when it happened?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, your dog is most likely savable. Talk to a professional trainer. Your husband is going to have to be patient, and be willing to be a big part of the retraining. Dogs that bite out of fear can be the hardest to retrain but at a year old I would think he still can be retrained.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• @Musicmom80, the dog was fine with my husband petting hin after giving him a treat but once he stopped to glance away and reached back down again the dog got offensive. his first owner the drunk male was trying to run him over with his truck when the older woman i know stopped him and has had him 3 months now. im just scared that if he will snapp at my husband he might eventually hurt my 4yo daughter, even tho the only issue is towards my husband.
    Dereks-Babydoll

Comment by Dereks-Babydoll (original poster) at 7:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• you could start by having your husband walk the dog and that way they could form a bond. also helps to see the owner as the pack leader. dogs usually can leave things in the past if you leave it there and just work on getting him to bond with you.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Don't risk keeping the dog, for your children's sake - dog has aggression issues.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010