my 3 year old is waking up in the middle of the night and walking around the house, what can I do to keep her in bed and asleep?

catey_raina

Asked by catey_raina at 10:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• put a baby gate up in her doorway...maybe a hour or 2 before she goes to bed..you can do some things with her that will wear her out so she wont wake up in the middle of the night.. Good Luck
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 10:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Is it a sleep walk? I can't tell from the question. If so, there's nothing you can do about it. If not, sorry I didn't answer to your question right.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 11:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• yup, baby gate in her doorway.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yep - baby gate on her door. If she is big enough to get over it or open it on her own, then consider installing a locking screen door on her door, putting her door knob on backwards so the push button lock is on the outside, or putting a simple security lock on her door and locking her in. You can put a child's potty in her room so she can go to the bathroom in the night. And if you are worried about her being locked in during a fire - think of it this way... she is not old enough to follow an escape plan on her own, if she is locked in her room, you will know she's in there when you go to get her instead of having to search the house to find which cupboard she is hiding in because the fire scared her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would recommend a baby gate, and I personally don't think that you should lock a child in their room. I am guessing that your house is already baby proofed and you can just shut the doors to rooms that she is not allowed in and put one of the door things on them. Then she can't get into anything, but will not feel like she is being abandoned by being locked in her room.  .

MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• put a baby gate up in her doorway - she will be able to open the door to get your attention but not leave her room and end up hurting herself
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 5:02 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• They have these little battery operated alarms that can be bought at places like Toys R Us and places like that. I dont use them as I dont need them but I know a woman who does and she says that they work . From what she told me, the have a sticky back and you just install on any door -inside or out- and an alarm will sound when the door is opened.
    Hope this helps!
    luckyiamx3

Answer by luckyiamx3 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I am not sure how to keep her in her bed and asleep, but I can tell you like some of the other moms have that you can at least put up a gate in her doorway so she can't get out. It can be very dangerous for such a young child to wander around at night when everyone else is sleeping. My children do that. I have a 4 and a half year old and a 3 year old that do that. Unfortunately gates don't work, they climb over them, but I have everything that is dangerous locked up with padlocks and I make sure they can't get out of the house. Luckily I am a slight sleeper too and I usually wake up when they start wandering. But maybe you can try using a baby monitor too and turn the volume all the way up so you can hear even the faintest sounds if she wakes up and tries to leave her room.
    mommabunnyof4

Answer by mommabunnyof4 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Ok it told me my answer was too long but I have more to add! So here it is: If you want or need to go to the extreme to ensure you'll wake up if she tries to leave her room, put jingle bells on her doorso when she opens it they jingle. Most likely you'll hear them and wake up so you can go check on her and out her back to bed after you find out why she woke up, if she can even tell why. I hope you can figure out how to solve the issue soon! I know how hard it is to have night wanderers!
    mommabunnyof4

Answer by mommabunnyof4 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Both my kids and my husband sleep walk! I'm a light sleeper, but I also have a gate in the door of my son's room (he's 18 months). My 4-yr-old daughter can get over or open gates. Her door squeaks and I won't let my husband fix it cause then i know when she's out of bed. It's hard when they all do it, but it's not all that often!
    mom2tasianic

Answer by mom2tasianic at 12:26 AM on Oct. 19, 2008