Would you let your kindergartner ride the bus to school?

I went against my mommy instincts today and let my five year old son ride the bus to school. My hubby and both of our mothers made me feel like I was being over protective if I didnt let him. What are your thoughts???

BusyBee908

Asked by BusyBee908 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I let my Kindergartner an pre-schooler ride the bus . some ppl dont want their kids to ride an thats ok thats their choice.
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 7:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yes..i was nervous..but gave in. i let him ride too school but i pick him up from school
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yes
    AddisonandKids

Answer by AddisonandKids at 7:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• my son has ridden a "short bus" since he was 4. He went to Early Childhood,and has ridden it every year since. He's in 3rd grade this year.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yeah, of course they can ride the bus. Although due to the distance they are going to have to walk to get to a bus stop, it's just going to be easier for me to take them to school - which I can see from my house. But if they said they wanted to, I would let them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I let all my girls ride the bus at that age, it just depends on the area you live and if you are comfortable with it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on what neighborhood you live in. For instance, if you live in the hood, your kids will have to ride home with all the bigger kids, too. If you like and know the kids in your neighborhood, I think it would be fine. I let my kindergartener ride for about a week, then took him myself because he was hearing some awful language from the "street" kids that were in higher grades.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Absolutely. It's a rite of passage, a part of growing up, learning to be independent.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I did. I followed it every day for the first few weeks. I was paranoid too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I let my girl. But the busses rin first for the elementary schools then again for middle and high. Not sure if I'd let ride with the really big kids. As it is, she's just on with K-6 grades. She also rode the preschool bus for two years but it was small, with seatbelts and only 3-5 year olds on it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010