Has anyone's child ever done this???!!

My daughter is a little over 2 months old. She has had a cough for the last couple of weeks but the doctor said that she didnt see any symptoms of illness when she had her last check up. She also has a runny nose and is sneezing alot.. I am tending to those symptoms as best as I can but she has done something quite startling twice: After she has eaten, I will be burping her and she will cough, let out a huge burp and then suddenly fall asleep. Its like she just passes out! Is this a concern??

KikiMama729

Asked by KikiMama729 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DH is an Ear Nose and Throat doctor and these are the things he told me when we were going through a similar situation. The coughing may be from reflux or just as simple as coughing could help her burp. If it is reflux try to keep her in a more up right position while and after feeding for 20 minutes or so. My DS would start to start coughing when he was refluxing or until he passed gas and once it passed he was okay. The runny nose and sneezing I wouldn't worry much about unless the mucous has a greenish tint and/or running down her face. Sneezing could be from dust and pet dander even though they are too young to have a true allergy yet. it is the only way babies can clear their sinuses on their own. Also looking onto bright lights can cause sneezing.
    MommyStar502

Answer by MommyStar502 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son is the same age and does the same thing without the runny nose and i wish he would fall asleep like that!! But he coughs due to reflux...it took me a little while to figure that out. He sneezes a lot but as long as it's not excessive i'm not worried. Like i said his nose isn't runny but he does get some stuff up there that i have to clear out occassionally. I say that if the doctor says she's okay and she isn't acting like she's sick then she's more than likely just fine :-)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• She has allergies, reflux, and bad gas. My daughter has some of those problems too. Use some of the "little remedies" products. The nasal drops, get a bulb syringe (because she can't blow her own nose), and the infant gas relief( gas hurts when you have alot passing through). The passing out is crazy idk on that 1.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• she doesn't feel good so she needs to sleep!!!
    JessTorres

Answer by JessTorres at 2:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2008