do you correct your kid's homework?

if your kid puts down the wrong answer on their homework, do you have them go back and fix it? or do you leave it alone for the teacher to see?

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 7:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i try to help them understand where they went wrong and have them fix it. if my explanation isnt working i will write a note to the teacher asking them to better explain the problem.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• If my child asks for help then I try and guide them to the right answer but I would never correct it. Mistakes are how people learn if you keep immediately correcting it in the end they'll never learn anything.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My kids aren't in school yet, but no, I have always been highly against parents that do this. It's important for the teachers to see where a child's issues lay and by having them correct it at home she doesn't get that. My mother used to check ours, and would have us do it over and over again til we got it right... So then our teachers didn't know we were having trouble because when they checked it, everything was done right. Come test time our teachers couldn't understand why we didn't do as well as we did on the homework... As the student, it would have been MUCH more helpful to get them wrong and have the teacher know where my weakness were.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I always proof my child's work & help guide them to the correct answer- not just give it to them. Usually it's just a small error- probably from inverting a number or not taking their time. The teachers actually expect them to bring in their hw after getting help from parents. They have enough class work & tests to guage how they're really doing. HW is just a way to reinforce what's done in school & to help give us parents an idea of what our children are doing in school.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I will go over the work and if there is an incorrect answer, I will have my kids look at the assignment again and see if they can find the error. If not then I will point out the one that is incorrect, and discuss why it is wrong. Then we go over the proper steps to come to the correct answer. I think the point (at least for me and my kids) is that they get an understanding of the work, and how to complete it. I don't think it is "cheating the teacher" from seeing this because they normally do several assignments in school like this anyway. I think it is just a way to help reinforce how to solve problems or come to solutions for questions. Sometimes the child may not understand how to do something until it is explained in a different manner, or several other ways.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 7:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I direct them to double check their work. It tips them off that something isn't right, but I don't point them to it or correct it. If I were to do that, it wouldn't be an accurate measurement of their abilities.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I ask him to back and try again and if we can't get it after a few tries I have him leave it wrong and write a note to his teacher. They need to know when he's having trouble.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He corrects it. We haven't had a situation yet where he didn't understand something - his mistakes are all due to trying to finish in 2 minutes so he can play outside.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My kids are grown now. But, I always made sure they understood what they were doing. Then, I looked it over when they were finished. And, had them make necessary corrections before turning it in at school.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:39 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I go over answers, I tell them if its wrong to give them a chance to fix it. that way if it was just a simple mistake they dont get it counted against them. If they still dont get it, I try to explain, & if that don't work then I send a note.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010