Nanny says my 21 mth old dd broke her dd's ninendo DS screen, what to do?

My nanny took care of my 21 mth old DD last night at her house. She just sent me a text saying they were letting my dd play with their daughters nintendo DS and she broke it on accident. How do I respond? I pay her $11 an hr to take care of her. Should I be responsible for this DS and offer to pay? Once ahe said that she found some scratches on her car and thought that someone here at my condo did it. We live in a very good area and her cR was parked in the condos garage that houses about 25 cars. Only old people live here and I highly doubt they would do that for no reason. But I still offered to pay for damage. The funny thing is she lives in a very ghetto part if town and larks on street but said ahe was sure that it was someone here that did it. I don't know what to say to her about the DS. I personally would have never let my DD play with it because of something like this happening so to me that is bad judgement on her

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No for the car, but yes for the Nintendo. Of course if it was bad judgment on their part to let her play with it, then maybe you can ask if you can split the cost with her.

Answer by Bmat at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Oh yeah and when my SO picked DD up from her house last night she never mentioned it to him. It's 4 in the afternoon the next day and she is barely saying something, kinda weird. I don't wanna ruin relationships buy I think this is kinda not. Cool.
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would ask her why she would let a baby play with such an expensive toy. I would also tell her that you are sorry, but she should not have let your baby play with it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No there is no way I would pay that. Your daughter is 21 months and broke it by mistake. It is the Nanny's fault for letting a child that young play with an easily breakable object. It was her mistake in my eyes that broke her daughter's DS, nothing to do with your daughter at all. 21 month olds are not responsible for their actions in that way.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't think you are responsible. She gave it to her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That was her BAD judgment. That is not an age appropriate toy and you are not responsible for that.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• no way! is she a dumbass or something.. i would say "hello...they do have an age limit for those things" why would some dumbass let a 2 yr old play with it. not your fault
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It sounds to me like she is trying to get money out of you. She shouldn't of let your DD play with the game, I mean that kind of game is for older kids and she knows better. It is her fault it got broke, not your DDs. If I were you I would look for a new nanny, this one sounds like there is more drama in store for you if you keep her. That is just my opinion.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 7:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have a feeling her DD broke it awhile ago and she is just trying to get you to pay for it since you already offered to pay for the damages to her car. Time to find a new nanny that isn't interested in finding ways to make you pay for her broken crap!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• you really need a new sitter..i'm sorry. i wouldnt trust my child being taken care of by such a dumb ass...yeah, i remember the last dumb thing she did
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010