do you set a time limit on doing homwork?

if your child is playing around or pertending to do their homework what do you do? do you set a time limit, make them return it not done, or something else?

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids do their homework before they are allowed to enjoy other activities. However, if they don't get it done then they may attend school the next day with it undone - and be graded accordingly. Children need to learn that there are consequences to their actions.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Depends on the age... I let the younger ones take their time as their attention span is nil. The older ones have to sit until their finished.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Nope, they have to sit at the dining room table till it's done.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We have a time limit. Homework must be done by 4:30 which is 90 minutes after school gets out. That should be plenty of time for him to get his work done. If he is working... i mean actually working hard... on the homework and goes over the time limit, then he gets extra time. Otherwise, if he isn't done then he gets the bad grade.
    Otherwise I fight with him all night to get it done and it disrupts the whole family.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Home work at our house isn't a huge deal yet since he is only in 1st grade but our rule this year has been that you come home from school and eat a snack, play for 30 min than home work. I don't set a timer or force the issue it's his responsibility to get it done and my responsibility to give him the time space and resources. Meaning I don't nag. He knows that he will not do anything else until it's done though. If he gets up and tries to wader off I remind him no laying outside, watching TV or playing video games until it's done. If he want's to lay on the couch and be bored until bed time it's his choice anything not complete I send in in-complete with a note that says he refused to finish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Pick a quiet spot w/out distractions, get them a snack & get them going on it. No breaks, unless you see they are getting flustered on a particular topic, then move on to something else & come back to it later. No playing, no TV, video games etc, until hw is complete. If they refuse to finish before they go to bed- then get them up earlier in the am before school to get it done! I bet a couple of times getting up a little earlier will curtail their lax study habits.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I always supervised mostly because I loved seeing what they were doing in school. Never too much of a problem because they were always anxious to get it done. But it had to be finished.

LOL mompan.....just struck me so funny............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My 3yr old jus started school...no homework as yet...but when he do... which should be next week some time...we are going to get striaght to the homework as soon as we hit the door...so that he will get in the habit
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 7:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In my house (Even when my 13 year old goddaughter was here) as soon as you walk through the door your happy butt sits down at the kitchen table & do your homework. I honestly didn't care how long it takes but your not getting up until its done. Doing it that way brought my goddaughters grades from failing to passing. =) I plan in doing it now with my 5 year old.

No phones, no headphones, no music, no tv, a quick snack & something to drink. & Im always near by if they have problems or to check the answers when they are done. I dont give answers, i just check them. =)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I allow my kids to play outside til the lights come on which is around 7:30 pm. My 4th grade son gets home around 3:30, and has to start his homework and get done before being allowed outside to play. The kindergartener hasn't had any homework yet, but I do make him finish the worksheets they're supposed to finish in class if he hasn't finished his. After that, he's allowed to watch cartoons or play in his bedroom. Haven't quite worked out what I will do when the clocks change, but I'm hoping by then this will have become routine and I won't have such a fight on my hands. The way I'm seeing it now, the 4th grader would be required to sit at the table til its done, even if that means sitting there until bedtime.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010