how do you drop the before bed nursing?

My 13 month old has never taken a bottle, so giving her a bottle of milk as a way to replace the nursing before bed, will not work (at least I don't think it will). However, she does know how to drink out of a sippy cup. I'd like to replace the nursing before bed with a sippy cup of milk but I don't know how to do it...do I just try it one night and see how she does? How did you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's the hardest one to drop. I would put water in the cup, not milk. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• just do it. Why are you stopping the before bed nursing so soon? If this is part of the before bed routine,you have a fight on your hands!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'm no help my DD dropped that one on her own at 7 months. she was just to tired to want to deal with nursing. But I bumped you!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My child weened herself when she got a cold & couldn't breath thru her nose well enough to nurse. Intro the sippy cup while still having cuddle time! You can still be close & comforting while weening. Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The before bed nursing wasn't anywhere near as hard for me to drop as the first thing in the morning nursing. Letting her stay up a little bit later, give her a drink of water (my DD started showing interest in drinking from cups at like 7 months), nice fun bath, story, song and bed. More often than not she's to tired to fight it at that point. The story time and song+snuggling helped distract.

I've heard some people suggest having dad put the baby to bed to help skip that feeding when it's first dropped.

Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My son is 2 and usually doesn't nurse before he sleeps. When he takes his nap I don't nurse before the nap unless he asked to nurse before I told him it was time for a nap. I don't want him using it to say up. He lets me know beforehand if he wants to. If he throws a fuss I tell him after his nap I will nurse him first thing and he's fine with that. At bedtime when he was younger I started reading him a book in bed before putting him down (with only his nightlight on) and I noticed he stopped asking for the before bed nursing. I think just having another relaxing, comforting activity before bed can help phase that out if you like. Maybe you could have sippy milk/reading time then brush teeth then bed.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 8:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I just didn't nurse my son one night, we completely skipped that step in the routine, and dad put him to bed. Amazingly, he had no problems with it.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The night time nursing has always been the last one to go for me. But if your trying to get her to take a cup and she's not into the sippy try one with a straw. I don't know why but I've seen a few babies lately, including my youngest, refuse the sippy cup but take to the straw first. All these babies also have never taken a bottle. So maybe there's something to that.
    chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• for me it was about a month long process that started by nursing for a limited time and then droping 1/4 of that time each week and replacing it with a story and snuggles for. However my son was about 16 months at the time we started. good luck
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You could have someone else put her to bed for a few nights, either with a sippy of milk and cuddling before hand or skipping the drink altogether or you can try to replace nursing with a book or something else while she drinks her milk from the cup.
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 10:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2010