which do you think would be better for a child?

A mom that works part time but when she is home devotes a large portion of her time to her child, or a SAHM that pays attention to her child about the same amount just in shorter invertals, between doing her household chores, but is there everytime she is needed. I'm not asking to put either way down, I just wonder which would be better for the child in your opinion

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think both ways are fine in their own way....Some moms can't stay home they need to work or they'll go crazy but they still have great relationships with their children. And SAHM have alot of things to do also so they don't neccesarily have an upperhand. I am at SAHM now but with my first son I was a full time working single mother and I have a great relationship with my son and he's never wanted for anything. and he got to spend alot of time with other family members which helped him to socialize a little better. My son now that I stay home with has a little bit of an attachment issue but he's a good boy too.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Depends on the parent and the child. Also depends on the family situation and the financial situation.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 7:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't know that either is better... It would depend on the parent and the child... Each has different needs and neither option would be perfect for every family.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That's a tough one. I did take a job that cut back on my hours to be closer to school hours, but still have things to do once I get home. I wish there was a better balance or more hours in the day! We still make time for chats, board games, etc. And most importantly, the kids know we love them!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Both are hard. I recently went back to work full time and I have let go of my chores a little more because when I am home I have missed my kids and want to hang out with them. But when I was home all the time I always was cleaning and doing chores because we were here more to make messes, so I think I actually see them more now. But every situation is different, and you need to use your own mommy intuition to decide what your kids need.
    BusyBee908

Answer by BusyBee908 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well I chose to be a sahm because I wanted to be there for every little thing. I do chores some times with the kids and some times while they are doing other things. I dont see it anything wrong with allowing them to play while I am doing chores.

As far as "being there" I never knew how emotionally important this would be until about 6th grade. Once when my daughter started her period at school and in less than 5 min. I was there with new jean. I didnt have to ask a boss for time off, drive home, and then drive to the school. She was soooooo thankful.

Also when there was a little girl bugging the crap out of her and she needed a mental health day. We were able to skip school, cuddle and talk for the whole morning.... it was one of my favorite memories from that year (she is now in high school).

So being there 24/7 is the way I choose to go.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Personally I've always been a SAHM as it was what I agreed with more however I don't have a problem with either.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't think either is better. You do what you gotta do.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Well it doesn't work like that. The working mother is faced with all the chores of the SAHM once she gets home. She can't devote all her time to the child. She still has to make dinner, do laundry, etc. I'm a working mother.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Neither is better.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010