My son screams every time I have to change his diaper or cl0thes!

My son Benjamin screams bloody murder every time I change his diaper or clothes. Is this normal? What can I do to make these things easier for him?

bensmybaby

Asked by bensmybaby at 7:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? More than likely he will grow out of it. My son doesn't like having his diaper changed either.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yeah mine just hates laying there for me to do it cause he wants to play. I try to give him a toy to keeo him occupied to I can get through it witihout him kicking me(not to hurt me...he's only 9 months) or rolling over a hundred times
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It sounds pretty normal.
    Distraction, distraction, distraction. :P
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• He is 7 months old. Thanks everyone! I guess I need to just give him a toy when it's time to get changed!
    bensmybaby

Comment by bensmybaby (original poster) at 7:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yep. they do that sometimes.
    I tried to keep a few toys at the diaper changing area that my kids didn't get any other time- so they were kinda new- more interesting. thought they liked playing with the diaper rash lotion tube the best usually.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Just do what you have to do. Change him while he is screaming. Just tell him it is time to change your diaper or change cloths. then do it. At least he will know what you are going to do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• louise2, that's what I've been doing since he was born. I just continue changing him and let him deal with it. Sometimes, I'm the one who can't deal and was just wondering if there was an easier way. He does need to get used to diaper changing but I want it to be as harmless and simple as possible.
    bensmybaby

Comment by bensmybaby (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• yesss this is normal....try singing while changing him...or give him a toy to play with doing the process
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 7:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• This faze will pass just like all fazes. If he knows it bothers you he might act up even more. Distracting him might help. but it might not either. Do what you want. Diapers and cloths have to be changed, like it or not. JMO.  It will be easier with your second.

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Singing seems to help sometimes. They are so curious at that "different" voice coming out of you and lots of times will just stare at you! GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010