I Need Help!!!

My son will be two on november first. and he does not talk. he makes sounds, and sometimes they sound like words. and i try to teach him by pointing to things and repeating what it is, and trying to get him to say it, i also say thing like, "do you want mommy to put your shoes on?" or "do you want to go bye-bye?" but he just stares at me like im an idiot. im starting to get frustrated, exspecailly when we are around other kids around his age and they speak full sentences.

YoungMama11106

Asked by YoungMama11106 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I will be honest, I don't have a lot of faith in doctors for most basic things, because a mom usually knows her child best. However, in this case, I would make an appointment with a pediatrician. He may very well have something as a litte as a hearing problem or just delayed speach. On the other hand, not all children develope on the same generic curve. thrown out there.Your piece of mind is at stake here. This is all just my opinion. If, in your heart you know something isn't right, find someone who will help you. PLEASE!
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 10:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• thanks, and yeah i dont have alot of faith in doctors for the most part either! i know he hears fine, he just wont talk. thanks for your answer!!
    YoungMama11106

Answer by YoungMama11106 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• hi. my son had the same problem. i talked to his pediatrician and he recommended an early intervention program where they come to the house and work with him. my son is now 3 1/2 and we cant get him to stop talking!

kim038

Answer by kim038 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• that's the thing. my son was like that, they determinded he didn't have a hearing or speech problem. thing is on day he woke and wouldn't shut up!!! i love it though lol!! keep look you are MOM and you know best, one day he's began the endless 16 year babbles and maybe not (i hope so ) but if you don't think there's any progress there is the option of second opinions
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My daughter is the same way and has the exact same bday!!! She uses gestures alot, does yours do this? our doc last month asked if she was talking yet when we went for a sick visit....i said she babbles and occasionally makes words....she said that my DD is just being lazy...keep talking to him and i feel you about the frustration around other kids. The doc said just wait a few more months but that if she isn't using two words together by 2 1/2 to maybe start looking at other options.
    the worst thing is when other people tell me somehting is wrong when they don't know her. just keep working with your toddler, and know some kids just talk later than others.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 12:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Does he have an older sibling that talks for him a lot? I had that problem with my youngest. His older brother would constantly ask "can we" for both of them, or if I tried to get the youngest to say something, the oldest would butt in and say "he wants". I had to start telling my oldest to be quiet and let the youngest speak, and tell my youngest that whatever he wanted, he wouldn't get until he asked for it. Other than what others have suggested, that's the only thing I can think of.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my son is the same way, he will be 2 on November 17th. he does say a FEW words but does not put words together in a sentence or anything and when asked something he just stares at me too. he did have a hearing problem until we got tubes put in his ears so that could explain the speech delay but he still doesn't ACT like a normal (i use the normal term lightly though because what defines normal in a 2 year old) 2 year old. He won't go get things for me or anything like that so the dr. has finally referred us to a specialist to get him evaluated. that is next tuesday and i cannot wait to find out what is up, if anything. i would just suggest maybe you see if your dr. can refer him to a specialist for evaulation, it wouldn't hurt anything.
    karibmomof3

Answer by karibmomof3 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008