when is a good time to stop breastfeeding?

i am a first time mom. while i love my parents and in-laws, i dont always want to listen to the advice they have about children. (my mother has had 9 children and my mother in-law has had 5). i take it in, but a lot of it i've already heard. i'd like to have the advice of other parents as well.

your input is appreciated.

alexiscasto

Asked by alexiscasto at 10:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I firmly believe in self-weaning. Follow LO's cues and everything will be perfect.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't believe there is any right age. I think whenever you and your LO are done, you'll know.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 10:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Ditto. Ditto. Child lead weaning is the way to go. Bottle fed babies are pretty much allowed to continue bottle feeding til they are ready for regular drinks in regular cups. Why should a BF baby be weaned at some random point?
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 10:54 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i believe in child lead weaning as well. i have been making my goals short and sweet so far to make it easier to get to a bigger goal. so i started with making it 6 months, now i am going for a year, after that 18 months, then 2 years... after that whenever he wants to stop will be perfect!
    MisanthropKitty

Answer by MisanthropKitty at 11:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son was BF exclusively for 7 months. Then I was pumping & bottle feeding some. We went completely to bottle fed at about 10 months - he just wasn't interested in being at the breast any more... Plus - it was nice to have the break... Daddy could feed!

We switched him to whole milk at 12 months and he's been on it ever since. No problems!

It is all determined on what feels right for YOU & your little one! I value the opinions of my mom - in - law too - but some things are all about you!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When the baby is ready to wean sometime after a year....My daughter will be self weaning.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would suggest self-weaning...whatever age you are comfortable with breastfeeding to...be that 1 year, 18 months, etc.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• When baby is ready to give it up
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• whenever you decide.... I breastfed for 16 months
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2008