Where will I find a great coconut cake recipe?

My daughter wants a coconut cake for her birthday. I prefer to bake from scratch, and looked at several recipes, but the reviews often say that the cake was dry. My family often jokes that my "from scratch" cakes are heavy and dry to begin with, so I don't want to try a recipe that already has that in its reviews! What is your favorite?

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• check i always find awesome stuff to bake on there

Answer by justduckie_mom at 8:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Exactly what I was going to suggest justduckie! lol I love they have a ton of recipes and reviews to go along with them:)

Answer by shanlaree at 8:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• My mother makes a coconut cake that is delicious! It's a Paula Deen recipe! It has 7 minute frosting with a wonderful filling made with real coconut milk! It was in her magazine, but I bet you can find it on her web site! GL

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The America's Test Kitchen website!

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Austinsmom, I did see that recipe. It looked good, but I think even that one had reviews that said it was dry. Maybe it's "operator error".

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

* 1/2 c. melted margarine or butter
    * 1 c. coconut
    * 1 white cake mix, prepared according to directions on box
    * 1 c. cold milk
    * 1 8 oz. Cool Whip
    * additional coconut, toasted if desired

Pour melted margarine into a 9 x 13 cake pan. Sprinkle 1 cup coconut over margarine. Pour cake mix over coconut. Bake according to directions on cake mix box. Remove from oven and immediately pour cold milk over hot cake. Let cool completely. Spread with Cool Whip and top with additional coconut. Store in refrigerator.

The milk makes this nice and moist! If you've got coconut extract, add 1/2 tsp to the cake batter while mixing.

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I just made a coconut cake. I used a boxed cake, but in place of milk, I used 1c coconut milk, 2 eggs, 1/2 melted marg Baked 350 for 43- mins. in 8x8 pan. . I made the white Duncan Hines whipped white icing, added 2 tsp coconut extract and put coconut on top. Everyone loved it, even the kids that liked coconut. I found the milk in the mexican isle of our grocery store.

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I agree with the others, is a wonderful site. You might be able to find recipes, too, on the Del Monte web site or the Kraft web site.

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 9:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Paula Deen makes a coconut cake for Jamie's birthday and it sure looked easy and good. It is from scratch with a coconut filling. Google Paula Deen coconut cake and I am sure you will get the recipe. Have fun and a happy birthday party.

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I made the paula deen recipe!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!! Not dry at all and if your cake is dry then try adding just finding recipes that call for applesauce. This is a great fix!!!

Answer by camsmom415 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010