dealing with my son....

so my mother has watched my son for almost a year now and during this time she spoiled him senseless.....she gave him sweets and soda and pretty much whatever he wanted...I had to put an end to it....I can't afford day care so I decided I would bring him to work with me.... this is the 2nd day he's at my office and already I'm STRESSED!!! he doesn't listen thanks to my mom and he is destroying everything and screaming even when I'm paying him full attention....I'm tired over worked and don't know what to do....please help me

natlb202

Asked by natlb202 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TEAR THAT ASS UP!!!! He needs to know the difference between mom and grandma. She is the one who is lenient. You are a professional and he needs to know when mommy is at work its her time. Give him some incentives for being good. No sweet treats since your mom has that covered. Time at the park. Playtime with just you. Visits to the zoo. You are BOSS not him YOU. You need the job to support him but if he dosent act right. Take him to the bathroom and be firm with him. It's not against the law to discipline him.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Sounds like he needs a bit of TOUGH LOVE. Firm discipline!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If it will not work with your son at work, try and set some rules with your mom. Make sure she knows your expectations. Tell her what is allowed and what is not and how you want him disciplined. he needs consistency and discipline. You did take a step towards that when you took him to work but two yr olds need to play...being in an office might be giving him cabin fever....if you have to go back to your mom, lay the ground rules. and discipline too!! try talking to your mom...maybe you can come to an agreement....but you are his mom...let her know that and that you need her cooperation.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 12:33 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my mother and I have had many a talk about my son.....after a year i have given up....I love her as does he but she completely undermines me as a parent....as for him at work I kind of don't have a choice and it's fine with my employer because I'm the only employee and I have my own space.
    natlb202

Answer by natlb202 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I definately feel for you! My mother has never watched my son, however, she watched my neice and the same thing happened. Your mother is being really disrespectful that she is not allowing you to make your rules and she is not following them. It was nice that she was helping you out, however, she really isn't helping you when she soothes him with sweets and no discipline. We take our son to work and we had to bring a lot of activities to keep him busy. It was really hard though. It will take a while for him to listen to you, but you have to be a hard ass until he will follow your rules. What mommy says goes!
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008