Have you ever had your hair permed?

If you have, how often, and what does it cost? And do you usually go to the same place?

L.A.F.outloud

Asked by L.A.F.outloud at 9:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Not since 1987. Do people still do perms?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Back in the 80s I sure did.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yep, many times back in the 80s. I think the last time was in 1991.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have, i was like 10-12 yrs of age...so i dont know about cost, but i dont know if i'll ever do it again. i used to have stick straight hair, now i have horribly firzzy hair, that just looks like crap if i dont straighten it.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 9:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I wore my hair permed and curly for a number of years. I had it permed every three months and had it cut once in between. It's been several years since I stopped, and I can't remember for sure how much I paid. I think back then it was about $65 and the girl that did it for me worked in a salon in a chain department store.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I've had my hair permed and given perms..
    the texture of your hair will determine how long it lasts.. some hair doesn't contain a medulla, so it may not hold a perm long if at all (if you can curl it with a curling iron and it lasts a while before falling out a perm should hold in your hair). If you hair can hold a perm it should hold permanently.. (you are using a chemical to reshape the bonds in your hair, they refuse with the neutralizer, and thus are suppose to be permanent.. hence the name permanent waves aka perm). Obviously regrowth won't have these chemically structured bonds, so as your hair grows out so will the perm.

as for price, it can vary on a number of different things.. length, texture, density.. they can start from $40 (at some beauty schools) and go up from there (typical salons are about $60 and up).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• "I have, i was like 10-12 yrs of age...so i dont know about cost, but i dont know if i'll ever do it again. i used to have stick straight hair, now i have horribly firzzy hair, that just looks like crap if i dont straighten it. "

that's probably from natural hormonal changes in your body at that age, along with a number of other factors, not necessarily from the perm.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I got a perm in 2005 & it was $80 but it depends on where and the length of you hair
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I was blessed with what I call my "Perma Perm". I have naturally curly hair. My curl was a gift from my Mother. Thanks, Mom!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I only had it permed twice while in middle school. (in the 90's). My hair is naturally curly, and I thought a perm would help restructure it for more even waves.. if only I knew then what I know now about hair, lol. I could have saved myself some money (like I said because my hair is naturally curly anyways).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2010