Just got informed Sex offender moved right next door.

I checked the regestry and it was against a child and it was 1st degree sexual assault on a child. I am don't even know what to think. My children have been told not to go in their yard and deffinatly not in their house. I feel bad my daughter just had a frind move in and her mom and I use to let them walk around the neighborhood and ride bikes now we have agreed the kids will be walkedback and forth by each other. I thought they had to do more thn just post on the website. I thought if they moved in that close they had to go door to door or put up fliers warning the neighboorhood. Do they do that anymore? I am in Nebraska in case states are diffrent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I thought you were suppose to be notified as well. How long ago was the conviction?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• At least you know he is there. They are getting to be everywhere, and not knowing they are present in your neighborhood could be worse. We just had an incident in our neighborhood that could have been extremely dangerous because we didn't know he was there. So I think it just pays to be extremely cautious all the time because we absolutely cannot ever know where they all are.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I dont think they have to do anything but be on the registry, but if I were you I would be printing out fliers and distributing them around the neighborhood, with all the information you said so that people can have the knowledge to protect their children from this person.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I thought you were supposed to be notified as well. Maybe not.
    Either way, don't bother him. Don't let your children near him. And keep an eye on them at all times.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't know about how law enforcement have to inform neighbors.
    Have you considered putting your daughter in some kind of martial arts? They teach them great self-defense techniques without being all doom and gloom scary. It also teaches them self-confidence and they just reflect more strength. Child predators know how to pick out children that are timid, shy and seem insecure. If you sign up for some classes speak with the instructor and tell them that you know you have this neighbor, they will make sure knows the right stuff!
    chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• after i move dinto where i am now i found out that the guy next door has similar charges... and somehow he still has his children!!!!!!!!!!!! like omg!!! he always tries to talk to me anytime i am outside.. even pulling up the drive way.. ill be getting my boys out of their carseats and he tries to talk to me from his yard and i totally ignore him.. he gave us all the creeps even before we knew what he did... i have no respect for him and would prefer for him to be dead.. i know this cold be taken as heartless... but i have a heart and he clearly doesnt... enough said
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 10:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I think I would just walk up to the guy and let it be known if he touched my kids I'd cut his f'en balls off with a rusty knife!!

I think the cops are suppoesed to notify you... maybe that's just how they do it here in MA??

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would get everybody together and come up with a plan to run him out of the neighborhood.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• They do not have to do anything but update their info on the registry. And if you put up fliers or what not you could be sued by them so be careful.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't believe you have to be notified as long as the house they choose falls in to the mileage requirements set forth by your state. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered if a sex offender moved in next door, we've lived her for 4 years and have yet to learn our neighbors names - so it wouldn't matter... But I feel like forcing them to notify neighbors just puts a target on their back - they served their time, let them live their lives... Contrary to popular belief, not all offenders re-offend and not all those convicted of crimes actually did what they were accused of...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 PM on Aug. 24, 2010