Calling all CNAs....please read

Im going tomorrow to sign up for my class, to help me pass the test. I know most cnas work in nursing homes and im aware of most of the clinicals that happen on a daily. but can you basically give me a rundown of your day, and if you dont mind please tell me your hourly and post anon..and how long youve been working as a CNA..thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm not a CNA, but I do work in the nursing home industry. I can tell you that CNAs in my facilities start out around $10 per hour and it goes up from there with experience.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• change briefs, give showers/bed baths, assist with dressing, meals, check vitals/weight make beds, listen and talk to clients, do ostomy and catheter care, denture/mouth care, basically anything the person needs help with. You are not allowed to give meds or oxygen. If you are a CNA 2 then you can change bandages.
    It is a very emotionally draining job at times. We deal with Alzheimers, Parkinsons and mental disorders a lot. The first part of the class is basic learning- such as some med terminology and diseases- the second is learnign the skills then actual hands on training. It doesnt take a genious to do the work- just a lot of passion for helping others and patience. You dont make much starting- here in Oregon its about $9.50-$10.50 starting- more if you get your CNA 2 (acute care) license. Good luck
    also you have up to 2yrs to take the state test- or 4 months after you work as a nursing assitant
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2010