Do you think that a high school diploma is "better" than a GED?

I personally don't. It's just a piece of paper IMO, but I know a few people who don't think those with a GED are "as good" as they are because they graduated from high school. (Wasn't sure where else to put this.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of people drop out and get their GED so they can go on to college or tech school and start working sooner, because spending two extra years in school doesn't make sense when their family is in a bad financial situation. At least I know several people who have done this, surely there are others.

Also, I would venture to say that neither one is seen as very important or very much of an accomplishment in today's world because with the job market the way it is you have to have at least an associate's around here to get anything besides minimum wage.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 11:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I know in the HR dept. of the last place I worked and in the company my husband is partner in..Diplomas are more highly respected. However, nobody gets turned down JUST because they have a GED instead...but if it comes down to equal candidates and one has a diploma and the other a GED..diploma usually gets it. Right, wrong or indifferent that is how lots of companies roll.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Overall, no I do not. You can be a complete idiot and graduate... However you actually have to study for your GED these days.

*Not saying idiots graduate, but you can make c's and d's and cheat off other people and barely graduate and still have a HS Diploma"
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have a diploma and feel I did the work to earn it, that is probably the difference. I did not quit early. The test for the GED is different than for your ending years of High School.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• The majority of employers think so. Many will accept either. But, a vast majority want the diploma. I know the companies I've worked for all requested my high school transcripts. I had to sign the release for them to do so.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• In a word? Yes.

Why? Because, in most cases, it means that someone stuck through high school, which is "better" than dropping out and later getting a GED. And don't get all antsy and start giving all sorts of scenarios that differ from the "high school dropout" one. I know. I'm just stating the most common reason for getting a GED, and my reasons for thinking that a diploma is "better".
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't think so. "Good Enough Diploma" is what I've heard it called many times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I also grew up poor, so I had many reasons to rush into a GED, but stuck it out!
    tryin2BGOOD

• Yes I do and the reason why it simply shows you stuck out the 4 years and accomplished that diploma. I personally have my GED and know that most who get their GED is due to life circumstances and not because they chose or wanted to drop out. I had to drop out to work and pay bills.

hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• At my HS, it wasn't possible to "skate through", at least not completely. And I've never heard ANYONE say that the GED test was difficult.

Do you know many people who've taken it since they redid it? 5 or 6 years ago, iirc. The GED is more difficult than the basic graduation reqs at a lot of high schools, especially now that they use NCLB and only worry about basic grammar and math in public school. Even when it was still "easy" I know a lot of people who graduated hs and never would've had a prayer to pass a GED. Skating through is also far easier than you think. It's about money not academics. There is major pressure to pass everyone, and even more to not hold them back, lest the parents raise hell. I know people who've had to fight to have their kids held back when it was obvious they weren't getting it.

IMO, you should have to pass it to graduate, period. Give the schools their money off THAT test score.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2010