Which Christian denomination is the most true to the central teachings of Christianity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• No matter who you ask they will give you a biased answer. Here is an article about it...

http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservapedia:Which_Christian_denomination_is_the_most_true_to_the_central_teachings_of_Christianity%3F

njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There are many. There are also many non-denominational or inter-denominational that do as well.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• LOL - what NJMommy said. All denominations think that they are being true to the central teachings of Christ. All I can say is that historically, the Eastern Orthodox actually practices it. And yes, I am Eastern Orthodox. Our doctrines and teachings have not changed at all since the Great Schism of 1054, when the original Church split into Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism still maintain Holy Tradition, which we believe is the original deposit of faith given by Christ Himself. Granted, we Orthodox believe that the Roman Church has changed a few things, but you'll have to discuss that with a Roman Catholic, since I'm not really knowledgeable on all of Roman doctrine. I'm sure they think the same thing about us.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 12:01 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Historically, Redteuxis right........only the Roman Catholic Church can trace itself back to Christ. Look and see who the Early Church Fathers were and the facts around them. Research who actually compiled the Bible as we know it today--it was the Catholic Church that decided on and compiled the Canon of Sacred Scripture.  The canon of both the Old (the Jewish Scriptures) and the New (Christian Scriptures) was defined in a council of the Church of Rome under Pope Damasusin 374 and again at the African councils of Hippo in 393 and Carthage in 397. Protestant bibles have 7 fewer Old Testament books--you can research why:-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• That doesn't mean that the Catholic Church has always been a shining beacon---but that is the history side of it all:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You're going to get so many answers on this, but I will tell you what I believe. I'm LDS (Mormon). We believe that our church is organized exactly as Christ organized things when he was on the earth. When he died and later the apostles all died, much information and truth was lost. We believe that we now have that restored gospel. So for us, that would make us the most true to the central teachings of Christianity.

Please check out LDS.org or come ask questions here at Cafemom in the LDS MOMS group if you would like to know more and understand how this came about.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't think there is just one that is completley true and right. They all take different things from the bible to preach. I attend a non-denominational Christian church, because they only believe in teaching the bible. Nothing else, just the Word of God.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:42 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Mormons are not Christian because they believe Satan and Jesus were brothers--begotten through physical sex from whom they consider "father".......they do not believe that there is only one god, but only one god of this earth. They believe that Jesus was a man who became glorified through his life and thus became a god. They also believe that the men will also become gods if they follow all of the precepts of their church. And they do all of the genealogy so that they can have people attached to them and those people will then become--basically--their servants when they become little gods of their own world. So technically they are not Christian because Christians believe in ONE God who came to earth in Jesus Christ to die on the cross for all of our sins.

Anonymous

• There is so much wrong in the answer above me that I'm not going to even clarify it all. Mormons DO believe that there is ONE God and we do believe that Jesus died for all of our sins. The name of our Church is actually THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS. 

Our whole church centers around Jesus, how can we not be Christian? 

This wasn't a put the Mormons down post.  The OP asked a question.  I answered what I believed.  Why do you feel the need to trash somoene elses religion?  And if you're gonna....at least get your facts straight! 

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You really need to read your church doctrines----I didn't trash the Mormon religion I just stated facts. She asked about CHRISTAIN churches. Most Christian churches DO NOT consider Mormons as Christians. You don't believe your Father God is the same as Jesus--and what about becoming gods of your own worlds--Joseph Smith taught it--look it up.
    Anonymous