Question

If you was a supervisor, and you told your worker to do something, and they said u do it how would you handle that. Okay what if you and that person was friends meaning you and her got along real good.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 10:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would write them up. You are the boss and they need to follow by your orders and not disrespect you or talk back.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• No matter whether you are friends or not you are still their boss and need to act as one. A real friend would not disobey you in the work place.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Simply say "That's not how this works, I'm the supervisor and I've assigned you this job. I know that we are friends but I can't show favoritism to my employees, if I let you get away with this then I have no authority as the "boss." Your friend should understand that and if not then they aren't that great of a friend.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• MrsPierce06 I like that straight to the point,not hurting anybody feeling,and still up holding your position.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• It should be "If WERE a supervisor"....and "you and that person WERE friends"....and "You and she got along real well." It helps to use the correct grammar in business and personal correspondence.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I would have to question how good of a friend she is if she is putting you in this position. That sounds like someone using your friendship to get out of doing something they don't want to do. Maybe you could tell her nicely that at work you have to stay in your position as the boss and that means delegating. She needs to respect your postion as her supervisor.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Thank you Gertie for that information
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Friends or not, you have a job to do and so do the people that work for you. I would say, "It's not a request now please do your job" And if that didn't work.....I'd probably have a nice sit down with the person and let them know that I would not be disrespected, then follow up with the write up.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would say your friend is taking advantage of your friendship. You need to treat her the same way you would any other employee. Give her a warning and document it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• This is a very tough situation, when you have a friend to supervise and he/she disrespects you, I lost a friend that way. I had to have a talk with her and do a write up and she cried and I had to hold back from saying "I'm sorry". If they make you choose betweeb your job and their friendship, then they are not true friends.
    song888

Answer by song888 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010