Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

how can i get a copy of my finalized divorce papers without going through the mail and not costing anything?

I got divorced in 2007 and this past january i recieved my final divorce papers in the mail...the problem that im out of town and cant get home to get them...i need them fast and easy costing no money at all...what should i do?

Answer Question
Jessica S.

Asked by Jessica S. at 10:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Well, here in California the only way to get a certified copy is through the mail or at the county clerk's office, and you have to pay for them. Your lawyer might be willing to fax you a copy....but that would be uncertified.......

    Good Luck.

    Answer by ohwrite at 11:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Call the court clerk. He/she might email a copy to you. It won't be a certified copy. But, you will have them all the same. The only way to get a certified copy is to pay for them or go directly to the court house to get them. I actually had my ex's latest divorce papers emailed to me for free. Long story. But, needed a copy for the judgement I got against him. LOL.

    Answer by specialwingz at 11:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • call the lawyer.

    Answer by lovinangels at 11:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Call your lawyers maybe he can tax you a copy.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 11:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Ok...but the only problem is that when i got divorced i didnt go to a court with my ex...i just got mailed the i never had a i dont see how that can help me...but if you have any other advice feel free to let me know. I got married again and i forgot to bring my finalized divorce papers to prove that i was divorced so now i have 9 days now to get them or else the married is going to be voided...thats my situation right now.
    Jessica S.

    Comment by Jessica S. (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • I don't care what papers you need and from who, everyone charges fees. Try the register of deeds for (state:county:register of deeds) google it, if it needs to be certified, contact them and you will have to pay. Tell them you need a copy of your divorce papers. If you locate it online and print it, it won't be certified. I would definitely contact them.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 11:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • i also never heard of getting a free copy.. good luck with that.

    Answer by Cocamommy at 11:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • I agree with ohwrite

    Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Have someone get your copy and scan and send it to you. That's the only way I know to get it free.

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:38 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
Do you think it's too soon???

Next question overall (Money & Work)