what should i pack for the hospital ?

this is my first time pregnancy and im 38 weeks pregnant. i was thinking about getting my ''hospital bag'' ready for the big day. can u ladies who have been through this, tell me which items are essential for the hospital ? so what should i pack with me apart from my insurance card, picture ids, credit cards/cash, cameras and baby's clothes ? thanks in advance :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No much.

You need an outfit to wear home and an outfit for the baby, a magazine or book, your cell and your camera. That is really it. The hospital will provide everything for you.

I packed a ton of shit and never used any of it. Keep it simple. If there is something you really need, hubby can always go fetch it, or you can ask a visitor to bring it with when they come.

Oh, and as for the going hom outfit. You will be wearing the biggest f'ing pad you have ever seen, so sweatpants, loung pants, yoga pants....something lose and comfy is the best idea.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Good quality toilet paper. Hospitals use cheap scratchy stuff and whether you do vaginal or c section you are really going to want something thicker and softer than one ply!

Shoes bigger than your normal size. My feet swelled up so much I had to wear my dad's Crocs home. Talkin to the other gals in the NICU where my twins had to stay for a bit I found out it's a common thing after giving birth. Ugh I hated that part!!! Good luck to you an the wee one!
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 11:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• travel sized shampoo/ conditioner/ body wash! a nursing tank top, a comfy robe, snacks, sweats to go home in
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• NURSING PADS, they don't give you those there. Also lanisoh lanolin cream for your nipples. A good tight sports bra is helpful if you are in there long enough for your milk to come in to hold your nursing pads in place. GOOD LUCK!
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 11:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Remember Lip Gloss. I was also very happy that I had Starbursts... It helped keep my mouth juicy during contractions. I'd also recommend a body pillow, camera, magazines/books, anything to help you pass the time. A laptop would be preferable but not everyone has access to one.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 11:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• lotion and chapstick, air is very dry in hospitals. don't worry about jammies you're better off in th e hospital gown, you 'll be bleeding afterwards don't want to leak on your clothes. Oh and nice toiletries, it will make you feel better as a little pampering goes a long way. some scented body soap body spray .
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Remember the tooth brush/toothpaste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Pack the stuff you love the best to shower with! That first shower after baby is the best shower you will ever take so you might as well make it even better by having your favorite stuff.
    chjack123

Answer by chjack123 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• First of all, make sure you have all your insurance forms, i.d. cards, etc. Take a few pairs of warm socks and a robe or sweater - the hospital will be cold - also, take along some chap stick - for the same reason. Cool air = dry air and your lips may get chapped. Bring a maternity bra and some nursing pads - you will need them whether or not you plan to breast feed. Bring your own personal toiletries, your glasses or contact lenses and solution, a pony tail holder, some hard candy, cell phone and charger, camera and a change of clothes (I brought sweat pants and a tee shirt to go home in). That should do it! Good luck and congratulations on your first!!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I brought a little CD player and a calming CD that I played during labor (it gave me something to focus on) and I was happy I took that. The first time, I didn't pack any toiletries or makeup and I wished I would have so I did the second time. I liked showering the next day with all my own stuff and putting make up on...it made me feel better.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2010