HOD DO THEY RULE IT SIDS?

THEY TOLD ME MY SON PASSED OF SIDS BUT HOW DO THEY KNOW THAT HE DIDNT SUFFOCATE? THEN I HEAR THAT HE COULD KEEP BREATHING THE SAME AIR AND THAT IT WOULD POISON HIM. SO WOULD THAT BE SUFFOCATION OR SIDS? I JUST HOPE MY BABY DIDNT SUFFER.....

I FOUND MY BABY DEAD. HE WAS STILL WARM. HE WAS UNDER THE COVERS LIKE I HAVE FOUND HIM A MILLION TIMES BEFORE. BUT I WANT TO BLAME MYSELF BECAUSE I FEEL THEIR WAS SOMETHING I COULD HAVE DONE. I ASKED THE INVESTIGATOR IF THEIR WAS SIGNS OF SUFFOCATION AND HE SAID NO BUT WOULD THEY BE ABLE TO DETECT IF HE HAD TO MUCH EXPOSURE BREATHING THE SAME AIR OVER AND OVER? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BABY????

mandyleigh14271

Asked by mandyleigh14271 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have an answer but I'm so sorry fr you loss....
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I don't know hon, I'm sorry, but I'm so sorry for your loss. :(
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• my son died from SIDS and your body will show stress of suffocation if that was the case they run a series of test before saying what caused the death. The brain would of shown mass in certain areas and stuff...Im sorry for your loss I know how you feel in some way but you cant really say they didnt run every test possible before figuring out what happened
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• hugging I'm so sorry.

PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'm so sorry for you and your family...I wish I could help you but I'm not sure how they know if it's SIDS or not
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am so sorry for your loss, and the reason they determined that your baby died from SIDS is because there was no other reason they could find for why he died.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 11:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• oh and btw if you need to talk you can talk to me anytime...DONT BLAME YOURSELF!!!! I wanted to add that too..my son was warm we did CPR took him to a hospital got his heart started he got transfered but still didnt wake up too much brain damage...it happens there is nothing we could of done ther nothing you could of done..
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• They'll have done extensive tests before concluding the answer of SIDS. I am so sorry for your loss honey. My heart is with you and your family in this difficult time and you will be in my prayers.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You know, it doesn't make much sense, because SIDS always happens for a reason, they just don't up and die in their sleep. Dr's say to prevent SIDS don't sleep with the child, don't place a blanket in with the, no pillows and bla bla bla, so how can they say it wasn't caused by suffocation I am not being mean btw, it's just something that doesn't make sense. I know this won't make you feel better, but I will tell you about a local child. A friend of a friend of a friend had a new born child that she was sleeping every night with. The child died of "SIDS", however an autopsy was done because the parents took out an insurance policy on the child when it was born. After the autopsy came back it was ruled that the child was crushed... by the mother.. The mother was a 250-300lb woman. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!? you're fat the baby is fragile.. She was doing worse than trying to keep a baby warm at sleep time. So sorry to hear :*(
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

There is research that suggests that there may be a brain-stem abnormality that affects the brain's ability to make and use serotonin - found that serotonin overproduction caused SIDS-like deaths in mice -- and it may be responsible for well over half of all cases.

Along with its role affecting mood, serotonin helps regulate breathing and arousal. If that arousal center isn't functioning properly, a baby sleeping in a position that limits his oxygen may not wake up in time.

This discovery, made by researchers at Children's Hospital Boston, helps explain why SIDS rates drop dramatically after six months and disappear entirely at one year: The brain stem continues to mature, and even abnormal brain stems are eventually able to process serotonin appropriately.

This information came from: http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/09/12/sids.infants/index.html
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010