shjould I wake up my toddler to take his temp?

or let him sleep? He's 16 months old and been to the doc she said to let it run its corse, do you wake your child up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never wake up a sleeping baby espeically if he's sick. Sick babies need all the sleep they can get. Take it when he wakes up on his own.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• no..unless he's been super hot, and i need to know exactly what his temp is, i wouldn't. but i can always take it without waking him..so...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• if he doesn't feel hot, then no. but if he feels too warm to the touch, don't risk it, he could have a febrile seizure.
    could you sneak a thermometer under his armpit?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• You need a temporal (sp?) artery thermometer. :) If he feels warm I would check his temp but try not to wake him.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I'd wake him if you felt like he was burning up. Sorry he is sick and I hope he gets better soon.
    lizonfire4god

Answer by lizonfire4god at 5:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with some of the other posters, Never wake your sleeping child, rest is the best medicine and once they are up they may not go back to sleep for a while, its just like medicine, take it only when they are awake, skip it when they sleep
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• As long as he's not super hot then I'd let him sleep.

I have an EXERGEN Temporal/Scanner Infrared Thermometer. It sounds like a lot but really all you do is hold down a button, scan it over his forehead and touch behind his ear and it give you his temp. I LOVE that thing. It takes SECONDS rather than minutes. It's not invasive, you don't have to hold an arm down or stick anything in an ear. It's great... runs off a 9v battery. I read TONS of reviews before I bought it... then I discovered that my oldest childs doc uses one of those too. I will always have that kind of thermometer on hand now.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010