If you host a BBQ at your house are you required to wait on your guest's children?

We had a bbq and all the kids we asking me to get them things like food and water. Even though it is my house I still think the parents need to take care of their own children. My friend said I was rude bc when her 5 year old son asked for water I told him there were bottles on the table instead of getting up and getting it for him. I have a 6 month old to take care of already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Entertainment

• i think that 5 year old and his mother would be staying home next time but hey thats just me
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• A 5 year old child is more than capeable of getting their own bottle of water. As a hostess it is your job to see that all of your guests are comfortable and having a good time. When I go to others homes I am always the one to fix things for my own children simply because I know wheat they do and do not like.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with little miss mom...5 is plenty old enough to grab some water off the table. The parents should be watching their kids and making sure they have food and drinks if the want some. Its not your responsibility. Plus you have a baby to look after. Your BBQ didn't come with free daycare with you as the provider. Don't feel guilty!

BunintheOven1

Answer by BunintheOven1 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, Parents SHOULD be watching their own kids and helping them...but YOU were the hostess. I never expect others to take care of mine..but lots of people do..which is why we have adult only events except for birthdays and block parties.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You are the hostess, not the babysitter. Bringing children to someone else's home, invited or otherwise, does not relinquish the parents of the parenting duties. When we went to BBQ's, we were always bringing out children's own drinks and snacks that they liked to contribute. On occasion, depending on the host/hostess, we even took the kids food. With the exception of strictly family get togethers, BBQ's are adult events with kids not expected but welcome.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 11:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• A 5yo is more than capable of getting a bottle of water. Personally, when I take my kids somewhere, I fix their plates and get their drinks. I do NOT expect the host/hostess to do that.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is NOT your responsibility to care for other people's children, in your house or not! When we take my son out - alot of times others do care for him just because they haven't seen him in a while, but by no means do I 'require' them to!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:27 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• You weren't rude. You addressed the situation appropriately by telling the child where to get the water. It isn't like you told him to grill his own burger! :) There was no reason for you to serve the child water that is silly. We always get our own kids' food and drinks whenever we are at a gathering (BBQ, party etc...). Besides if my 3 year old daughter can get a bottle of water out of the fridge and open it herself, her 5 year old son can absolutely get his own water off the table! To me BBQ's are usually informal and don't require waitress/waiter service. She needs some perspective and to lighten up!
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We have a very big combined family, 10 kids, and 20 grandkids, we have alot of famil get togethers, and the way we do it is each parent assists their own child, and if you aren't busy with one of your own then you go on to help someone else who may have more children. Like I'll make sure my kids have their food and drinks then I move on to my step-daughter's children, she has 4 so I usually jump in on the third child. When our kids are about 6 or 7 they are encouraged to help themselves.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:12 AM on Oct. 10, 2008