Why do vaccines need to have formaldehyde in them??

I can't find any information for myself, cam anyone else give me some info?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• get The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears...he explains each ingredient in each vaccine (he even breaks it down by manufacture) and it was easy to understand.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Formaldehyde is used to inactivate viruses (e.g., influenza, polio) and to detoxify bacterial toxins, such as the toxin used to make diphtheria vaccine. Formaldehyde is diluted during the manufacturing process. The average quantity of formaldehyde to which a young infant could be exposed to at one time through vaccines is very small and is considered to be safe. Without it, the virus or bacterial toxin would be active and would cause children to catch the virus or toxin.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• the pink book at the cdc website is a GREAT resource!!! look here http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.

Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I found this on about.com pediatrics:
    Formaldehyde is present in some of the vaccines on the childhood immunization schedule, including the flu shot, polio vaccine and DTaP vaccine, because it works to eliminate the harmful effects of these bacterial toxins and makes the viruses unable to replicate or reproduce themselves. The very small amount of formaldehyde that is left over in the vaccines that are given to kids is less than the amount naturally found in children and much less than that amount safely given to animals in research studies.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Have the doctor order single dose, preservative free vaccines. Read the insert before allowing the shot

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm allergic to formaldehyde. It's in a lot of things. So how do you know if your child is allergic before you give the immunization? You don't. Your child could have a life threatening reaction. I was hospitalized 3 days after my last immunization. That's one of the problems with immunizations is they contain more than one thing that can cause allergic reactions. My allergist had never seen such a bad reaction to an immunization. Since I was at a teaching hospital everyone had to come and look at me.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• There are skin tests for formaldehyde allergy and I had those tests and that's how I found out that was one of the allergies I have. Many products have chemicals in them that release formaldehyde including baby products and clothing.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• bump
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I am sure that there is a perfectly good explanation but the thought of injecting that into my or my babies (living) bodies just freaks me out.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• good question, and i would agree with the answers already given!
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010