gENERAL ANXIETY DISORDER IN MY 9 YEAR OLD SON...........

(I ACCIDENTLY CLOSED THIS QUESTION)
My 9 year old son has been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder....
He is seeing a therapist and its helping some BUT Im wondering if anyone has ever tried some of the all natural meds..like Becalmed, or St Johns?? Im not a fan of meds but my son has so much trouble falling asleep due to his thoughts that Id like to TRY something to see if it helps while he continues therapy. Thanks
Patty

pattys117

Asked by pattys117 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Health

• HI Patty, I answered your other question, but I'll reply here as well. My son takes1.5mg of melatonin like one hour before bed. We went from fighting like mad to get him to go to bed and listening to him up for like 2 hours after he was told to go to bed to listening and not hearing anything after like 45 minutes. He went from tossing and turning so bad that he was in a tangle of blankets or falling on the floor to him waking up in the morning as if he'd just crawled in bed. He does tend to be a bit harder to get out of bed in the mornings because he is sleeping more sound. His grades and behavior are better in school as well. My son is 11 years old diagnosed with ADHD and ODD so he's on Vyvanse for the ADHD. He has told me the melatonin helps a lot. He rarely has to be prompted to take it anymore, he knows it works for him. It's natural too so no worries there. I tried St. John's one time and wasn't satisfied with it.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Hey, my first anxiety attack was after my grandmas funeral. I was 9 and I layed on grandmas couch shaking like a leaf all night long, my parents didnt know what to make of it. I think it is so great that they can diagnose this now for what it is. I suffered alone with it for a long time. I would ask the dr that diagnosed it what he or she thinks about natural meds and what would help him to relax. Kudos to you for identifying this, getting a diagnosis for it and wanting to help him get the relief he really needs....:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• bump
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I tried st john's wart myself and it makes me really sick. I lost all sorts of weight on it and always felt like I was going to puke. I know some people who love it, but personally I couldn't stomach it. I tried various versions of it at different times in my life with the same reaction. I have also tried the melatonin and it works very well, but it gives me dry mouth half way through the night. I have given it to my son a couple times and it worked real well getting him to sleep but he was up asking for water a bunch of times. My neighbor uses melatonin for her daughter and says she has never been up asking for water tho. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you will need to experiment and find something that will work for your son.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Fish oil has a very calming effect on my son.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Anxiety (and migraines and a whole host of other issues) are common with a magnesium deficiency. Start supplementing

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010