To what extent....

should we have obscenity laws?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, there was once a time when we abided by something called honor. If you don't swear, I will honor that and not wear in front of you. People have forgotten to be polite. It's that simplr. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you think, just show other people respect. It can't hurt right? Go out today and open someone's door, let someone in while in traffic, let the person with very few items ahead of you at the store. Just say hello and smile to people. If we showed respect to others and were friendly, we'd all get it right back. Law or no law, that's the way it ought to be..
    TDCmom

Answer by TDCmom at 2:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I don't want someone cursing in front of my children, but I also dont think ANYONE should be able to tell another person what to say, how to say it, where to say it or when to say it. Laws become slippery sloaps really fast. It doesn't take much for an individual or group of people to decide that something offends them. Then they can decide that law sides with them and so on. We are already living in such a PC society that freedom of speach is nothing more that a placation in the constitution.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 11:22 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• alwaysathomemom---- I also dont think ANYONE should be able to tell another person what to say, how to say it, where to say it or when to say it.

I totally agree with you. that would be a violation of our freedom of speech.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• For the most part, I agree with the above ladies. However, I like the "laws" that are placed over public television. I don't want to have to worry that if our tv gets turned on, that the first thing we will hear on any given channel is a bunch of expletives.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:44 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think indecent exposure laws in public and on tv are good ideas. I don't want my daughter turning on the tv and watching porn at three in the afternoon, yanno?

But I think the cussing laws are a joke. EVERYONE cusses and if they don't, they have in the past and eventually will in the future. Why pretend like everyone is happiness and sunshine all the time?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• caitxrawks --------"But I think the cussing laws are a joke. EVERYONE cusses and if they don't, they have in the past and eventually will in the future."

I agree. If the KKK can have rally and recite their hate and do it all under police protection.. then people can say what they want, obscene or not.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 1:45 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I believe that freedom of speech should only cover messages that have content (showing emotion through cussing is not content) and that the content does not invade the rights of others. I believe that their overall basic message of KKK is prejudice and does invade rights of others. (I didn't hear what was said with the police being present)
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 2:03 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I am against blanket obscenity laws, dammit.

Actually, I am for laws that limit access to obscenity for children. Such as the rating system, time of day when things may be viewed, porn age limits - mags, renting videos, and parental control on cable.

However, ultimately, it is your responsibility as the parent to limit what your children hear and see. And if they do hear or see something you don't like to discuss it with them, and for you to try for it not to happen again.
    FiveofaKind

Answer by FiveofaKind at 2:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I thought there was freedom of speech in this country....?
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• content = that which is contained. if a written statement includes profanity, that profanity is, in fact, part of the content.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008