Have you noticed that as the price of food goes up the amount in a package/can goes down?

Kraft Mac-n-cheese used to be 9 ounces per box...now it is 7.25 ounces and the shapes are somewhere around 5 ounces per box when they used to be 7.25 ounces.
alot of things have been going down in size not just the mac-n-cheese

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 11:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• YES! My boyfriend and I were talking about this the other day! I got a hershey bar, and it was really thin. I remember when they were thick delicious melty pieces of chocolate- I think they're about half what they used to be. Not only that, but just about everything that isn't junk food. The junk seems to be about the same- soda, chips, cookies, etc.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Yes, and what's difficult for me, is I don't always have the $ to buy the largest "best deal" package but hate buying something smaller for more...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I have been noticing this a lot more lately. It is really bothering me. I keep thinking that things are getting worse- the rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Maybe it has to do with expiration date on them and they need to get rid of inventory.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Oh yeah. I've noticed that with a lot of things. Chips for example :(
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, it seems like our food spending just keeps going up and we keep getting less and less for it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• YES!!! exactly!! I go to the stores and they only have these huge bundles of paper products...like 15 4 packs of toilet paper for 10 bucks...well all I have is $2 and i really just need a 4 pack...TYVM...it is like these stores are pushing us into buying large amounts of something when we don't have the money...well what about those on a fixed income and live alone they do not need 15 4 packs of tp!
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• it's been doing that forever. I remember when a can of coffee used to be pound. I also remember my dad flipping out when it went down the first time.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That has been going on forever. I noticed years ago. We eat hardly any pre-packaged foods, so it doesn't really affect our budget at all. Whats sad is the cost of fresh organic fruits and veggies, milk eggs and grass-fed beef. The healthiest things cost the most. That is what happens when 5 major corporations run things. Watch Food Inc. and Real Dirt on Farmer John.
    sarchasmic_1

Answer by sarchasmic_1 at 3:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yes
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010