What do you do for gifts?

I was listening to the radio and heard something interesting and fun. A family for Christmas makes things and then bakes, and doesn't make it about gifts. I was wondering if anyone did this, or if some people made gifts to give to their families and friends? I have on occasion, and if anyone has ideas or pictures, i'd like to know, my creative mind has gone crashing since I had my dd.

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 11:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Holidays

• I probably would make gifts if I had the time. I used to crochet a lot and occasionally gave blankets as gifts, but now, I head to the stores and try to find something unique.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I do tend to make things....my chidren like to help as well. My Daughter and I make homemade Christmas cards and tags with stamps. We also make jewelry to give to the females. We make Candy and baked goods and the family all seems to love this. I put them in decorative tins/jars and we dress them up. Sometimes we give jars with recipes in them- for example, give a jar that has everything in it to make oatmeal cookies and put the recipe on the outside of the jar. There are a lot of ways to make things and save money. I think people appreciate things made from the heart.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• We make a lot of things.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I used to make more then I do. I would bake things give gifts in a jar, sew but things have gotten more hectic
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Usually the kids will get the store bought gifts... adults I have done cookie baskets for them... and they are a hit ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I know what you mean about your creative mind crashing since you had your child. My mind doesn't work nearly the same after my two and I'm currently pregnant with my third. I fear it'll never be the same. Haha

We have lots of plans to build traditions around the Holiday rather then around the gifts. Baking fresh cookies, listening to Christmas music, watching the parades, making handmade ortiments, etc. Last year we baked cookies and gave them to the inlaws. This year we're making handmade soap. To us it's a lot better to give a handmade gift then a store bought gift. It's a lot more personal and it shows that we really put heart into it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2010