Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

27 year old Army Veteran TRAPPED in a broken elderly body

I was injured in the Army in 2003. I had spinal fusion from T6-L1 Oct. of 2003 & medically discharged in 2004. I am now service connected w/ the VA at 80%. Today was my VERY 1st day of PT since my surgery in 2003. I am very upset that it has taken 6 yrs to get any REAL type of treatment. For the pass 6 yrs I’ve only received my oxy meds in the mail & each time I visit the VA I see a different Dr. instead of just 1 primary Dr. Ive been homebound every since & feel trapped in my body (which looks like one of a 20 yr old but functions more like a women in her late 70's). Today at PT I was asked to do VERY simple things like: lift my leg & hold it for 10 seconds & couldnt do it. I failed! I did what I could but NOT what I was asked to do. I’ve complaint MANY times w/ NO results. I’ve contacted DAV. I am thinking about writing my congressmen. What do you think? What would you do? Any Advice?


Asked by Shades_0f_C0l0r at 11:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2010 in Health

Level 5 (85 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • I would complain to everyone I could. Congressman, DAV, newspapers and anyone else you can think of. The fact that all they did was ship you meds instead of dealing with issues is a tragedy. Scar tissue has had time to form and you recovery may be less than it should be. I might call a lawyer. Try to keep your spirits up. Work your exercises at home to, you may be pleasantly surprised how far you can go.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 12:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • I would definately tell the doctor who helped you, thank you and how long it has been. Yes, writing a newspaper, congressman, tv station would be beneficial. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

    Answer by txdaniella at 11:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Absolutely write to your congressman about the poor service you have received from the VA! Six years is more than ridiculous! You might also consider talking to a lawyer.

    Answer by neebug3766 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • I suggest contacting your congressmen, calling around, don't sit quietly by! Sadly, it seems the people who make the most noise get the most help. I would definitely be complaining to someone. You risked your life for the safety of everyone, and you got injured. You should be receiving the best medical care possible. I know it doesn't happen like that though, the VA is a shoddy operation with piss poor service.

    Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

  • Try you local news agency (TV, paper, etc.)...and write the congressman, Army Secretary, etc.

    Answer by 2boimommy at 1:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Reality is, from one vet to another, the VA sucks. The hospitals couldnt be any crappier and the doctors are morons. I honestly suggest you go out of your way and visit a civilian doctor. and start all over. there has been multiple of times when vets have tried to do something about the crappy-ness we get, and we get no results. some doctors do their jobs for the hell of it, not because they enjoy helping others. as a matter of fact, my mom was seeing this one doc and she would tell him that she has diabetes, so without running tests, he would take her word, and prescribe diabetes meds, she would say she broke her arm, no tests to determine what it was, he would assume it was, and give her pain killers and out her arm in a sling. i hope you do get better. i know how much it sucks not getting back to simple tasks of pt. i cant run up the stairs anymore due to my knee. so i know what your going through :)


    Answer by YObando at 10:34 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • How would a congressmen help in the matter? Could they get me better & faster treatement with the VA?

    Comment by Shades_0f_C0l0r (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Thank you for your service and Im so sorry for all the pain you have been through. Not military, but I know there are lots of moms who are here, I will bump you to help you find the answers you are looking for...God Bless you for your service!

    Answer by beyondhopes at 12:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Is there a group here for women Veterans? I did a search but was unable to find one...

    Comment by Shades_0f_C0l0r (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

  • Contact JAG maybe they can better advice you.


    Answer by musicmom08 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010