Do you "expect" your kids to go to college?

I grew up in a household where it seemed my older brother was 'kind of' expected to go to college after high school, but I don't remember at all ever being made to feel like there was an expectation that I go to college after high school.

Now I am 41 and a senior in college - I started when I was 36 - I am starting to get a little annoyed that my parents didn't build that sense of desire to attend college when I was younger. I feel like I missed out on a lot of things because of it.

I am now a mother and stepmother to four children and we talk about college and our expectations of our children to go to college on a regular basis. We take our kids on informal college campus tours when we are near a campus, and already we have an 18 yr old who graduated HS 2yrs early and is now a junior in college.

Do you expect your kids to go to college after high school? Were you expected to go to college?

texassahm

Asked by texassahm at 12:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• i expect her to live to her full potential and to what makes her happy. if college is not for her i will support that
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I will encourage it since I know how hard it is to get through without a college degree, but I will not force it on them as I've also seen the kids forced into it that just totally went wild and out of control because of the pressure.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i was not expected to.
    For my children, I always ask what they want to be when they grow up. If my son wanted to be a farmer, i would encourage him to study agriculture, but if he only wanted to work at the mill nearby, and be a father, I would accept that.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'll make a decision on that when they are older and I can see what their abilities are. Not everyone should go to college.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't expect my kids go to college...college makes life a bit easier....but I think they should do whatever they need to do to live the life they want to live. Some are happy with a min wage job, just getting by without all the bells and whistles.......and some want brand new cars every couple years with a big house, taking vacations every year!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I expect my child to do what makes her happy. No, I was never expected to go to college and I didn't.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When I say 'expect' what I mean is college a part of your every day conversation to the point where your kids think about it and expect they will go to college.

Obviously if my children are more successful in another area that wouldn't include a formal 4 year college I would be okay with that, but I really would encourage them to get at least an associates degree so they have some formal training in their area of expertise/interest.

For instance, if my child wanted to be a farmer, I would encourage him or her to take agriculture classes and to get some sort of degree that would give him/her the knowledge to make his/her farm the best it can be.

I can't MAKE my kids go to college, but I do expect them to go.
    texassahm

Comment by texassahm (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I understand that not everyone is cut out for college. So while I'd like to assume that DD (and any potential future kids) will go to college, we'll play it by ear when we get there. We will DEFINITELY be encouraging it. I've got a BS (hopefully will be going back for a MS sometime in the next few years), DH will hopefully be finishing up his PhD in the next couple months. His goal position (I suppose you could say dream job) is a tenure track research professor, so if everything works out DD will be growing up completely exposed to the whole college thing being the norm.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yep, they better!!
    2boimommy

Answer by 2boimommy at 1:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It was expected I go and Dad drove me to McDonald's and told me that my future was there if I didn't go. So, I went. My kids are expected to and will go as there is no choice. We talk about it often and they are 5 and 6. In this competitive world, they just need to go but that is my opinion.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010