Is Riley a boy's name or a girl's name?

I am prego with #2, and if its a boy we were going to name him Riley. But family and friends keep telling me its a girl's name and the more I hear it and say it, it really does sound kinda girly. Just looking for honest opinions here.

curvysoldier83

Asked by curvysoldier83 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've seen it as both, but my first thought of it is as a boy's name. But then when I hear of a girl with that name, I don't think of it as a boy's name lol. Kind of like the name Taylor, it sounds right with either sex!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree, it's both. I would use it as a boy name.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Both. It depends on the part of the US you live in. I have seen it applied more to girls in the southern part of the country and boys in western part.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 11:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• look up the census data and find out if the current trend goes toward males or females. To my knowledge it was traditionally male and shifted towards female. If the census shoes an overwhelming number of girls I might consider it more for a middle name. I had the same problem with Kendall. It's traiditionally a SURNAME and then male and THEN female is the more current trend. But since it was shifting towards female and yet still uncommon I decided to allow it for our daughter.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 11:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Unisex name
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have a Riley and he is ALL BOY!! I know that some girls use the name too, but its always sounded like a boys name to me.
    giegie0726

Answer by giegie0726 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• it's both. i like it as a girl name.
    mibabi

Answer by mibabi at 11:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• we thought about naming our girl that but we spelled it "RYLEE"
    maddoxsmommy605

Answer by maddoxsmommy605 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• yeah i know i told my mom my girl name and she says it sounds like a dogs name... oh well, guess she'll be whistling if it's a girl....
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 11:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It sounds like both to me, but I know two Riley's and they are both girls.
    LoganDeemom

Answer by LoganDeemom at 12:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008