I really need help in what to do , I have a 10 month old who cant self soothe, I put him to sleep in my arms & cant put him down until hes asleep, I also have a 3yr old. so when the baby does cry I rush to get him so he doesnt wake the whole house, he's so clingy to me , wakes like 3 times a night & don't know what to do

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 12:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He still needs you to sooth him. Please don't let him CIO, that can cause attachment issues when their older. Right now he needs you to teach him how to sooth himself, by soothing him yourself, and you do this by holding him, loving him and responding to his cries.
    mommyakabooby

Answer by mommyakabooby at 11:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• unpopular answer but I would set a weekend aside to cry it out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• A 10mo isn't supposed to "self sooth." For all of history and still in most of the world human mothers have breastfed and slept with their babies and toddlers. It is noromal for them to wake and nurse several times at night until they are 3. It is hardwired into human baby's brains. Babies are supposed to cling to their mothers. We don't know the long term consequences of artificial feeding and making babies sleep alone in cages (cribs). Moms that don't bf shouldn't co-sleep. Wait until your baby is in REM sleep and then try to put the baby down to sleep. Put the crib in your room. Feed the baby when the baby wakes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Babywear him during the day for easy contact. He's behving normally! The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch. If you put his crib in you room or sidecar it you will hve an easier time night parenting.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How is the 3 year old handeling the 10 month old?
    Try not to rush to the 10month old, yes waking the whole house is bad but the faster you get there than the longer and worse the dependcy will be. The self soothing will get there, stay patient and good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 1 thing I did with my DD is before she was finally out I laid her down and rubbed her back while she fussed... eventually it got to where I didn't have to pick her back up and not at almost 2 she goes to nap and bed most of the time with out me but I still co sleep sometimes or rub her back to help her fall asleep.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I've used easy listening music like some good soothing sounds, whatever is on at the time on a nice channel on the radio.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Do they get to unwind, or is it loud in the home constantly. I know some people don't handle noise as children but they can't say what is bothering them, I am one of those which believed this and always had things turned down or gave them toys with lights near them to sleep. Try a glow--worm doll.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Check out Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. It'll help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Most don't learn how to self soothe til 12 months
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2010