Meal Planning

What are your tips/tricks for meal planning. My SO wants me to plan meals for 2 weeks and we are really low on money right now also.

PookieMama13

Asked by PookieMama13 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I plan meals, but weekly because we use a lot of fresh foods. I cook everything from scratch as well. Both save us money.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• here's my method, I suck at actually keeping a set schedule plus hubby doesn't like the repetition when I tried that.
    I write down several meal ideas, like 2 weeks worth (meatloaf, spaghetti, etc) then I make my grocery list accordingly.
    I put the list of meals on the fridge and mark them off as I make them.

for a way to help cut the budget, do a meatless meal at least 1 night a week! that night for us is breakfast for dinner - pancakes and eggs.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My husband gets paid every other week but I split the amount he gives me in half so I go by week which is easier for me.
    Make a list of what you need for breakfast (milk, cereal, coffee, sugar, oats), fruit, veggies you need/ like/ want, stuff for lunch like bread, lunch meat, peanutbutter, eggs, and then make a couple dinner lists- you can definately eat off of leftovers too if you don't have a big family.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with DarkFaery131, thats how I do it. I do pick up things like milk or fresh fruits and veggies throughout the week though
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Take inventory of your freezer/fridge/pantry so you know what you've already got on hand. Then, sit down with that list & the sales ads & come up with a list of 14 dinners.
    Meat does not have to be the centerpiece of a meal. Casseroles, skillet meals, stir fry -- they can make a little meat stretch a long way.
    Meatless meals like beans & rice do not have to be as boring as they sound. Add tomatoes & chilies, cheese, seasonings and you've got a tasty meal. You can also make baked beans & cornbread, scrambled eggs & salsa paired with Spanish rice, or bean burritos.
    Cook from scratch as much as possible. Plan hot breakfasts; they're cheaper.
    Make a plan for leftovers. If you have meatloaf one night and leave 1/2, cut the rest into small cubes & make a meatball stew or sandwiches (won't quite be balls but cubes work just as well!). If you roast a chicken, take the rest of the meat off the carcass & use it in a stew or casserole
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I write out meal plans for the week. 3 meals, 3 snacks. I use a journal type book to write it out for every week and make a grocery list of what we need. Of course there is always fresh fruit/veggies on hand for any other time we want something.

If you are tight on money, try to incorporate a few meals that have the same ingredients. That way you save a bit of $$ while still make great meals!
    Erin.09

Answer by Erin.09 at 9:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it is really important to write it down and not try to wing it. Once you decide what you want to ave then you work on the shopping list.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010