What to do when my 2 year old falls asleep on the first flight?

My daughters usual bedtime is 7:00pm, but she has occasionally gone to bed later (like 8pm).

Our flight leaves at 7:30pm, with a layover from 9-10pm. Then the second flight is about 5.5 hours.

If my daughter falls asleep during the first flight, how do I transport her to the second flight without waking her up? Or will she be wired for the rest of the night (to the dismay of other travelers)? I've NEVER traveled with her before so I don't know how it's going to work out...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Travel

• Bring a stroller for certain. You can bring it right up to the plane, fold it, then there will be someone to stow it away. No doubt your hands will be full unless your dh will be with you- if you cannot hold her, get her into the stroller.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Maybe there will be so much new stuff going on that she will be wide awake. But just carry her and try your best to keep her asleep if you can. Kids can get really messed up when flying. Just the way it is. And the next couple of days she might be off schedule. Good luck! You'll get through it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• once she gets on the longer flight she may be up for a little while but then when there is nothing to do really and no where to go she will fall asleep again, its better actually if she is away during the layover and you can walk her around the airport some and then she will probably sleep again on the flight.

good luck
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• every time i flew the crew was always so welcoming and helped me so much! I had to fly from california to NY when my husband was in iraq and they were SO accomidating! when everyone was seated they moved me and my daughter to the back of the plane where the extra seats were we had a whole row to ourselves.

SunShineMoMM

Answer by SunShineMoMM at 2:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, remember to have something for her to drink or suck on to help with the ear popping! That will the be the biggest thing to worry about because so many people forget and it causes alot of pain. Also bring a bag with some of her toys, maybe go to the store and pick up a few new ones so she will be stimulated by them if she does wake up and can't go back to sleep. All the evening flights i've been on they do dim the lights quite a bit so that will help put her in a sleepy state, also maybe get a sleeping blindfold and play with it before the flight so its not new and let her wear it and get a little used to it or just bring a light blanket like a receiving blanket to cover her up with while she sleeps. Unfortunately you kinda have to go with the flow, and depending on the flight, they might let you move to a less occupied area of the plane to soothe her like the back row or something. Good Luck
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• okay so *away* should be *awake* oops
    mrspierce06

• Just have her bag packed with everythang and yall should be fine. Happy Travelin
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010