Do I HAVE TO bring a carseat while flying with my two year old?

I'm flying solo with my hyper two year old, and I don't think I'd be able to handle all of our stuff PLUS a carseat. What's it like to fly without a carseat? Will my daughter be ok, or do you think a carseat is a must-have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• No you don't need the carseat, we flew on 3 different trips with my twins (once at 8mos and once at 1 year, and once at 2 and a half) we never used carseats. We held them the 1st 2 times but after 2 years you have to buy the kid a ticket (unless that has changed which I don't think it has) just bring stuff for her to do like coloring books and crayons to keep her busy. Bring lots of snacks and even bring her some head phones so if they have the tv screens on the plane she can watch something.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• nope, car seats aren't required on a plane. Though if who ever is picking you up doesn't have a spare one for you to use you'll need to bring one, even if you check it for storage under the plane.

The way I figure it (and I'm sure the FAA too since it's not required) is that if the plane crashes, not much a carseat will do to help.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no you dont have to bring her seat on the plane, but you will need it for leaving the airport unless you have one waiting for you at your desitination!!
    Ive flown with my kids since they were just a few months old to them being 6yrs old now, its doable, just make sure you have things to entertain her..
    good luck!
    mommyto4rugrats

Answer by mommyto4rugrats at 1:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you can check your carseat too- that way you can bring it and just pick it up at baggage claim
    mommyto4rugrats

• When I did it with a 2 y/o I was pregnant and I took the carseat. My Dh got a luggage cart that folded and put a bungee cord on it so that i could just set the carseat on the small cart and bungee it in place. I set our other bag in the seat so i was free to pull the cart with one arm and hold on to my son with the other. I also used a back pack since it was easier to carry.

For me at that age a car seat was a must have safety wise and because once i got where i was going i would need a carseat for car rides.

I had one man come up to me on a flight to tell me what a good mother i was for having the carseat and caring about my childs safety, he then pointed a several unruly children in the back row and said "unlike those parents back there" it made me feel good lol.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no seat but what about when you leave the airport? small portable kind works.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You don't need a car seat for the flight but will the person who is picking you up have one? If not I would bring one. They will consider it to be luggage
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i dont hink so, not on the plane
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2010