Restoring faith?

On a post about the community center in NY (in a group, not in answers) a CM member said that if the Muslims would agree to move the center, it would go a long way to restoring people's faith that Muslims were "good and peaceloving."

I don't think it's the Muslim community's job to restore anyone's faith that Muslims are "good and peaceloving" any more than it's any random Christian's job to prove to me that all Christians aren't bigoted jerks.*** And frankly, that would be an easy conclusion to draw IF I had no ability to separate the Westboro Baptist Church's actions from those of the huge majority of Christians. So why should the huge majority of Muslims in America have to prove themselves when they haven't done anything wrong?

What do you think?

***I absolutely DO NOT think all Christians are bigoted jerks. I think there are some, but I also think there are some bigoted jerks in every religion and none

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 12:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I totally agree with you, OP. They shouldn't have to go out of their way just because people they're not even affiliated with did something wrong. I don't think they should have to move, they're perfectly within their rights to build there. Whether people agree with them or not doesn't change a thing. I also think its funny that they announced this almost a year ago, and people are just NOW going nuts over it.... Makes you wonder why its even an issue... *hint hint*
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think for me the real issue is not "proving" themselves but more to showing some sensitvity to those so greatly affected by what happened on Sept 11th. You can't ask for understanding and tolerance if you are not willing to give it as well.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I know....I don't think they , Muslims, have to prove anything and I think there is too much prejudice against the Muslims in NYC. Prejudice and FEAR.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• They don't have to prove it, but if your building a community center and mosque and and part of your mission statement is to improve community relations then the emotional hardship of the people living right where your building it should be taken into consideration.

The people living in down town Manhattan have dealt with a lot since 911, this is a huge reminder to people living and working there. Putting it uptown would be more appropriate. Two thirds of the people living in down town Manhattan are against the site where it is being built, this is regardless of their religious practices. Many non Christians don't like it either. This isn't a religious issue it's a good neighbor issue.  No one is saying don't build it at all, just put it uptown.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't think that moving the Mosque would restore faith in Muslims. I don't even think that renouncing terrorism will restore faith in Muslims. OP brings up a good point about WBC. Many Christians have renounced the acts of WBC as being out of line with true Christianity, yet there will always be people who see Christianity as WBC portrays it. The same is true of Islam ... no matter what the Muslims do, there will always be people who have a negative view of Islam.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• And Muslims the world over have denounced the 9-11 attacks and the terrorists/extremists. Just because they haven't sent you a personal email saying so doesn't mean they haven't done it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think the problem stems from the fact that the Taliban and Bin Laden are part of a small very extremist part of Islam that does not truly represent the faith, but we associate them with ALL of Muslim (in our American close-mindedness) and it serves as a reminder and an insult (to some) of that awful day. Personally, I feel keep religion out of it and just put up a memorial like all the ones they have in Wash DC that just commemorate the event and people involved.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It's called human-kindness. Not something barbaric, stone-aged tribespeople like muslims would understand or be familiar with. If you didn't believe that the actions of the muslim terrorists were wrong and against what you believed, wouldn't you have stood up and said so?? I can only assume that you are 100% on the side of the terrorist extremists, if you don't denounce them.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• And why shouldn't you have to prove yourself to America? We all have to do that to someone every single day!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• "barbaric, stone-aged tribespeople like muslims" So all Muslims are barbaric, stone-aged tribespeople? How about their significant contributions to math, science, medicine, philosophy, etc? Let's line those up against YOUR contributions & achievements and see who wins.

"If you didn't believe that the actions of the muslim terrorists were wrong and against what you believed, wouldn't you have stood up and said so??" Of course I believe that the actions of the terrorists were wrong. What do the actions of terrorist have to do with the American Muslims building and using this community center?

"I can only assume that you are 100% on the side of the terrorist extremists, if you don't denounce them." No, I am 100% opposed to the terroist extremists. THEY ARE NOT THE ONES BUILDNG THIS COMMUNITY CENTER. These folks had nothing to do with it. Why do you insist otherwise?
    DEpley

Comment by DEpley (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010