Anyone else have severe low fluid at 20 weeks or so?

I have been told my baby has extremely low fluid. I found this out after my 20 week ultrasound. I was sent to a specialist who has scared the Hell out of me with what can happen to my baby because of low fluid. Did anyone else have this issue so early in their pregnancy and how was the rest of the pregnancy?
Thanks.

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 1:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes , dont panic , i was told at 19 weeks i had severely low fluid and they booked me in for a termination , but my bf basically made me drink room temperature water and when i went to the big hospital in the city , they thought it looked up . i gave birth to a healthy 8 pound girl in may .
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 1:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• sorry just want to let you know , do everything you can , drink drink drink , rest , dont do anything to make u sweat and lose fluid .
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 1:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Drink lots of water. My son had low fluid at about 41 weeks and probably for awhile before that unnoticed. It is scary. Instead of focusing on what could go wrong try focusing on what you can do to help. What were the fluid levels? My son was at a 2 and consequently a C-section. The Dr. said he sucked more water out of him than from around him. The thoughts going through my head while I waited a few hours to have him were SCARY. I can't imagine thinking of them for half a pregnancy. One thing I can tell you is that he really slowed down movement the days before that and I chalked it up to him being bigger, not having enough room, etc. I wish I would have listened to my instincts and went in but I didn't want to overreact. Do kick counts and demand to be seen at the slightest uneasy gut feeling or slowing of movement. FYI...my son was healthy as can be. :) He got a 10 apgar score. Good Luck!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes it can cause problems for baby. You need to drink, drink, drink. and then drink some more. Water of course. :) I have heard old midewives advising low fluid moms to spend time submerged in water - like a pool -regulary. Whether or not its true, I don't know.... but I did live in our pool with our summer baby had had way too much amniotic fluid. So is it true, is it not, I don't know. but it certainly won't hurt you to spend time in the pool (with sunscreen of course)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Only thing about kick counts is that I have never felt her move. I know she's active from the ultrasounds but I have never felt her at all..
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• well i think the main thing is get drinkin from what we all are saying , seriously you can worry to peices and make it worse . try and stay calm , i didnt and i threw up and was crying all the time , go have some water.
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 1:38 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thanks. I have been doing the water thing, at least 3-4 liters a day. I'm staying pretty calm..have to for my hubby. I have another ultrasound Thursday to see if my water is doing any good.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 1:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How low?
    Since you're doing ultrasounds, are you discovering baby is healthy?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i dont want to scare you... but i had low fluid towards the end of the pregnancy.. also had the issue with no real movement... low fluid can be an indication (a very strong one) that the baby's kidneys arent working... see amnio fluid is actually pee, gross i know but it is the baby's pee, it is sterile like all pee, they drink it and pee it and breathe it... but when the kidney doesnt work, they drink it and dont pee it back out, causing the low fluids. i drank mad amounts of water. dh said he had never ever seen anyone drink like me. so i highly recommend for you to ask about the kidneys, to get an echo-cartio-gram of the kidneys. also if the baby stays breech and has low fluid that likely means a genetic issue causing all the symptoms. best of luck to you!! get that echocartiogram please! so wish i had known to...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I was already aware of what causes the low fluid issues..the specialist checked the kidneys and found adequate blood flow to them as well as the umbilical cord. They believe the placenta is the main issue really. So far the past two ultrasounds have shown the baby moving well and growing as she should be. Her heart rate was strong as well. So right now she is okay but it's just what can happen that's scary.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010