My 2 year old son hits

My oldest is 2 1/2 and he hits and pushes his little brother who is 15 months as well as his cousin who is 1 1/2 for no apparent reason. He will just go up and hit or push and make them cry or his cousin actually pushes and hits back now. cousin is also a biter and now my son has taken up biting me or his brother on occasion. Any advice to help him learn to stop? I have tried holding his hands, Ive tried slapping his hands and he would just laugh, and ive tried telling him that when he does that he also makes mommy and brother or cousin sad and i frown. That is what seems to get his attention the best and he will come give me a hug and brother a hug but wont for his cousin. He actually stopped for a while and has now started back up again.

MaverickMama

Asked by MaverickMama at 1:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little man gets time outs, in his room for a couple minutes. Then I explain why he went, and then he needs to apologize. If he does something to intentionally hurt his brother he gets a spank. He is two and a half also, and his brother is eight months. I do not tolerate him hurting his brother, or others kids. So this works well for us. He has only done it enough to find out the consequence. Accidents are a different story. Thats when he gets frowny face, and the honey you need to be careful speech. Hope this helps. Time out is a life saver!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 3:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I do the same thing too. I put my daughter on time out and explain why after. It works for us.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2010