Need advice on what to do with my 5 year old dd!

my dd just started kindergarten, she has accident problems. there is no medical reason as to why she is wetting her pants, she does it when she is too busy to go to the bathroom. she says things like "i was afraid i was going to miss my show, that's why i didn't go to the bathroom." she started kindergarten on the 11th and up until today she has only been having accidents at home. today she had one at school and didn't even ask her teacher if she could go to the bathroom so she lost all of her privleges for the day. then she had another accident about 2 hours after school. we have taken things away, tried to reward her for not having accidents by reverting back to the sticker chart, we've talked to her dr. about it. nothing is working...i'm at my wits end! no amount of punishment seems to take care of the problem. plus when we tell her to go try, she throws a fit and says that she doesn't have to go, she still has to try. but

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe you could have a serious talk with her and tell her how important it is for her to go to the bathroom, ask her how she'd like to be reminded about going to the bathroom and what you and the teacher can do, also ask her if she had a bad experience in the bathroom maybe shes too scared to go in school because shes not familiar with it. When my youngest daughter started having accidents again we were very upset and also punished her thinking she was doing it on purpose or being rebellious but then when we sat her down and talked to her we found out that she had seen a spider by the toilet and she had been scared ever since then to go pee in the toilet.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'd take her every hour or two and "make" her try while not at school. Tell the teachers to send her to the potty for this reason and say it's what the doc says to do.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i agree with 1st rely
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Send extra pants with her to school. Let the teacher know what is going on. Do not ask her if she has to go. Tell her to go instead. When she is home from school, have her sit near the bathroom & send her in every hour. When she complains about it tell her in your sweetest voice, "I'm just trying to help you not have any accidents." After a couple of days, it will end.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2010