How can I tell my best friend to not copy me?

I just got a new tattoo that I've been thinking up for a long time that is really meaningful to me. My friend absolutely adores it and says she wants to get one just like it. The tattoo is of my maiden name in my culture's ancient writing with flowers from trees that line the street i grew up on.. going down my thigh. She said she really likes it and wants one too but will just change the name. I'm flattered that she likes it so much, but i don't want to have matching tattoos, especially since it's something so personal to me. I laughed and said "COPYCAT" jokingly, but i don't think she knew i was serious. i don't want to be rude. i want to help her think of new ideas for her, but she seems set in her decision. any advice? thnks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe ask her why she wants to get it? For example: "The trees, name and language mean so much to me. But I don't see how that relates/pertains to you. I love that you love the design so tell me why and I'll help you create your own design." then you can direct her *away* from your tat AND help her at the same time!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i hate it when people do that! i mean copy you, i totaly understand u sisnce i have a friend who always does that.. i think u should just tell her that this tatoo is so personal and u think she should not have the same. Gl
    ashley387

Answer by ashley387 at 2:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I like what BluDog said.
    I have a friend like this too. It drives me nuts!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• just tell her your story behind your tatto and how much yhat you wish not for her to get the same.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Control Freak much? That rubbery covering that holds all your organs and cellulite in is what makes you a completely separate person from her. Get a grip and stop trying to micromanage other people.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• seriously you don't OWN that tat, let it go. It's like chicks that get pissed if their friend gets the same pair of gap jeans as them-get over it! this so is not worth your friendship, hon.
    cattiesmom78

Answer by cattiesmom78 at 1:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010