I need the right answer, and the GOOD ENcouragement please.

I have clutter everywhere in my house, i cant even walk to the kitchen, from having a 5 bedroom 2 living room house, we only use 1 room. I dont have trash but lots of things, ive spent money on example i have a 300 dll high chair, dont wanna sell for 10 dlls, and dont wanna donate to charity, wanna give to someone who will appreciate it like i did, really have need for it, if your really in need you cant buy from salvation armyand that is with everything in my house, kids outgrown clothes, toys, furniture.. help we are not well off anymore, but i want someone to appreciate like i did.what to do, i need to declutter, but im attached to everything, i feel like if i get rid of it, i will forget the memory. HELP

proudmomof4boys

Asked by proudmomof4boys at 2:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, if it wasnt for helpful moms giving me their hand-me-downs my baby girl wouldnt have half the things she owns. The pregnancy resource center gave us tons of 0-6 mo clothes. And my cousin gave us all of her old toys and supplies. God bless moms hand-me-downs, a real life saver!
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Hey, its ok to let it go. No, you will never see the price you paid for it, but there are families out there who are so in need right now and I promise they will appreciate it. You can post an ad on Cregs list, or if you have a local pennysaver kind of ad that comes out in the mail every week. or the recycler ad at the mini mart. Your memories will never fade, ever and those items can bring further joy to other families who cannot afford and need these items so badly. Thats really where you want these treasures to go anyway isnt it? To a family who will cherish them and enjoy them, just like you did at one time. hugs and there is so much more furniture ahead of you momma...those kiddos need dressers and new beds and new paint for their walls and lets not forget new desks and headboards..:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• it will work out
    four2bmws

Answer by four2bmws at 3:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You could go on a freecycle site and then you know someone is getting it that needs it. Or contact a women shelter.

I'm a little confused by your question. Do you want money for it or just to know that it goes to a useful and needed home?
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Get over the quid pro quos of your stuff and get to chunkin, you will feel better w stuff gone. Around here if I throw somethin out somebody picks it up right away. You can do this and you deserve it. You deserve a living space you can enjoy. Go for it.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh, i know, do you have a i'm not sure what they call them, but like a planned parenting place? in ohio it was called carenet here in indy its called the baby center, but they take your baby stuff and give it to those who need and really would appreciate it. i know i did. i got alot of my kids stuff from carenet. i don't blame you for not wanting to give them to good will. most of their stuff isn't cheap either. the only other thing i can sudject is are you part of a church? if you know of a church with a clothes closet, they would really love and need that stuff! when my kids were born thats where i would hit first. they helped me out with a stroller. i loved it! i'm doing the samething right now. getting rid of my kids old clothes. i give them to my churches clothes closet, and trust me the stuff goes to families who really need them. good luck.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 6:39 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• great answers here!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The attachment is difficult for you it seems. I worry that you sound like the people on the hoarding shows on tv. You need to find a way to separate yourself and your family from "things" - "things" aren't what the memories come from - they come from the people in your family, and it sounds from the post that these "things" are getting in the way of your family's health and well being. There are so many people out there who will feel so lucky to have gotten these items from you. I know we were so fortunate in getting things from others. There are so many places to donate. Good luck with this mom, I know it's a psychological battle.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 7:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have this trick when I gotta get rid of something I dont want to, but i KNOW i have no need for it. Its called hold it over the dumpster, close your eyes and turn your head and just let it fall and don't look back. You'll find you don't even miss it after awhile esp if its something that was tucked away and never looked at anyways.

I have pack rats at home and I devised all sorts of strategies to get rid of stuff without their knowing and allows me to keep a mostly clean house and live with it. If I didn't, we'd be swimming in years old, never used clutter
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• There's the Salvation Army, Baby Pantry, Red Cross, Call DHS: they may be able to match you to someone who needs what you have.

In reality, they are material possessions that can be replaced. No one will hold them to the same value that you do. But you need to decide which is of more value: your possessions or your family?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2010