Uterus Measurements Confused!

When my midwife measures my uterus it is always bigger than what week I am, does this mean that I will more than likely have the baby early, or I will have a big baby on time? (Sorry probably silly question)

a-mee

Asked by a-mee at 3:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not sure but should get checked for fibroids. My doctor was very concerned about this issue and stated that fibroids may be the cause.
    Jeanne7

Answer by Jeanne7 at 4:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It could mean all that or nothing or you have a lot of amniotic fluid around baby. Or, your dates could be a week off. One week off means nothing. You can still go to term and have only a 6 pounder.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When they measure its only a guide to the height of your uterus 1cm = 1wk.....as a student midwife trust me, its not an exact science and 2 different ppl can take that measurement totally different making the reading different. 1 week isn't a major issue, ppl can measure wks ahead and have preemies, not trying to worry you with that but just make you see the point, the measurement isnt exact and won't pedict whats happening but can indicate a small or large baby or other underlying problem but measuring just 1wk bigger doesnt usually mean alot. Try not to worry xx
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 10:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I always measured bigger, and out of 4 babies only 1 was early. So, I dont think it means alot!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:34 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I knew my dates were correct with my son cause i knew the day i got pregnant..lol..It was the only day of the year we had unprotected sex and it was the same day the ultrasound said. At 1 point i was measuring 5 weeks ahead of my date. I had a ton of extra fluid and that was why. My son was induced and born at 39 weeks, so no preemies here :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010