How do we know God thinks its a sin to do "whatever", just because a human religious leader says so?

Oftentimes these rules are made by people in power that just aren't personally comfortable with an idea, so they make it into a "sin" or illegal to do in the eyes of "god", when its really just their own personal insecurity in something they don't understand or want to deal with.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Excellent question. I think you're right. One religion's sinner is another religion's martyr. A good deal of religious conflict is about gaining superiority instead of taking a live and let live attitude. I think some of what your talking about is really a part of the perennial philosophy, that there is a basic line that all religions hold to, that most basic of knowledge of right and wrong and the nature of the Divine.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I believe in the Bible, so that is my point of reference. Most of the crap they say you "can't" do, really means they don't want you to....
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We know the things that God thinks are sins by reading the Bible. God is very clear about what is/isn't sin in His Word. I believe the Bible over any man. And if any religious leader isn't teaching/preaching from the Bible, I don't have any use for them.
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 7:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Usually you can feel something is a sin b/c of the guilt you feel in your own heart when you commit it. You know it's wrong but you do it anyway. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or what any religion tells you is a sin. Check your heart. Christians believe that everyone sins. And everyone is going to be accountable to God for the sins we commit. We'll have to face His wrath b/c He is a holy God who cannot abide sin. The good news is that He loved us so much that he sent Jesus to come into the world to take the punishment for our sin. Jesus was the perfect sacrifice because he was without sin. If we believe in him and in what he did for us then we will receive eternal life. I would encourage you to read John in the New Testament. A very sensitive book that reveals the heart of God towards us. Many of the prophecies in the Old Testament point to Jesus as the perfect lamb of God, too.
    HealthyMom62

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You should also be thinking of these things yourself and what feels right and wrong to you.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I never pretend to know what some diety thinks. That would be dangerously close to blasphemy wouldn't it?? I simply don't do things that I would feel guilty about.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Natural Theology states that the knowledge of God is in every human being because it was instilled in them at birth. Also that one can see the Glory of God in nature.. (Ie. moon, stars, sun) We are not to worship those things its just that they show his Glory or his handiwork. Much like a painter's painting. The painting shows the painter's handiwork, his glory... It shows that someone had to paint it. So technically we all know that there is a God. So God reveals himself and that pierces the mind of man but due to human sin and corruption and just simply distort it. Many have exchanged the truth for a lie and have chosen Idolatry instead of the true God.

But the bible is the Word of the true God. His bible states what are sins.

35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 10:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Honestly the only ones who can tell us are dead. Funny thing is Christianity says not to talk to them I wonder if theres a connection.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have to agree with your concept of sin being man-made. I think that the religious leaders basically took EVERYTHING that's even remotely enjoyable or fun and turned it into a "sin". That's how you know it's sinful, godslaves!! If you're enjoying it, you're sinning!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Okay but if your not a Christian, you could be seen as a sinner in the eyes of other faiths. Who's right? Who's wrong?
    Can you truly be a sinner of a faith you don't even follow? As such every Buddhist, Islam, Hindu, etc is a sinner in the eyes of Christianity, but to their own faiths they may the most devout of followers. One faith's sinner is another faiths martyr.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010