To moms that feed their child only what he/she will eat and not give anything else...

Why? Did you know that if your child consistently eats nothing but one kind of food long enough with nothing else, they are at risk for certain diseases and issues? Like the 2 year old I saw that ate nothing but oatmeal...and his teeth and hair were falling out, he bruised easily and he now has scurvy and can't walk on his legs. He needed extensive therapy. This is why kids need to eat a variety of food, not because we think that we are the boss and should force them to eat. It is also the reason everyone on here tells you to put healthy foods only in front of your kids and eventually they will eat and they won't starve.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 7:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We have had a rule from day 1 in my house... Our kitchen is NOT a restaurant and I don't cook to order. With that being said, I try to cook meals that everyone likes, sometimes I can't please everyone. For instance my 11 yr old hates red sauce and the rest of us love it, so in place of the red sauce I let her eat noodles with just cheese. I always have a fruit and vegetable for them at every meal and they learned at a very early age that not every meal is going to be a fun meal, IE... pizza, hamburgers, chicken nuggets and so on...

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Zoey - some autistic kids have real issues with food texture. My stepson is autistic, and there are very few foods he will actually eat - he gags until he throws up if the texture is off to him. He can only eat crunchy foods, not too spicy, and will only drink water or milk. He takes a vitamin now, but couldn't even do that until a year or so ago. He's 13.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• not necessarily as long as the food item has the necessary nutritional requirements they could eat it forever. But getting sick or ill isn't only contingent on what you eat, you also need exercise and need to protect yourself from the elements, mental health is also key (being social, having friends, a job or purpose, keeping occupied), it all plays a role in being healthy.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:47 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My 12 year old with autism eats five different foods - and has only eaten those foods for the past 3 years. They aren't necessarily unhealthy foods (peanut butter sandwich, applesauce, raisins, spaghetti, and pizza) but they are all he will eat - it's all about his routine and consistency. He has different foods presented to him all the time - I have 4 other children and we eat regular meals. Typical kids will eat when they are hungry and I don't allow my other 4 to pick and choose their foods, but my 12 year old doesn't feel hunger in the same way.
    Amazingly enough, he is extremely healthy. He has strong muscles, is growing rapidly, soaking up new information every day, learning things I never thought he would be able to do and never gets sick.

Answer by missanc at 7:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My kids are grown and always ate a variety of foods at all meals.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You do realize that the only foods these kids are eating isn't nutritionally healthy though. We're talking : Grilled cheese, nuggets or canned pasta.
    And yes Scurvy is solely a lack of C from food illness. You can't acquire immunity from hanging with friends as a 2 year old.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I am also not talking about kids with sensory or Autistic issues. And, your kids eats 5 different foods.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I lost ya on the Autism part. The human body requires the same nutrition regardless of having Autism or not. Autistic kids still need a full range of vitamins and minerals to be healthy. Autism is such a vast scope that it can't be generalized into this or that. Every Autistic kid is effected differently by its. No two Autistic kids are identical, in fact quite often are very different from each other.

As far as the lack of Vitamin C, yes, but I'm assuming they hydrate at some point during the day, give em some juice with a meal and that takes care of that.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Zoeyis: you have lost the whole point of my question. There are moms that DO NOT GIVE VITAMINS or Varieties of foods AT ALL. The kid eats jelly sandwich and milk....no vitamin, no healthy foods and on white bread. That is not healthy no matter who or what you are doing beyond that. I am wondering if they realize how detrimental it is?
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010