To moms that say leave kid at home if you go to a restaurant or....

bring every toy and distraction you can imagine and try to bribe them to sit and act right while there. Why would you not be teaching them how to act and proper etiquette at home from birth? You can have them in a bouncer beside you at home while you eat, then, a highchair and then on there on. That's how to teach a kid how to act in a restaurant. You start with meals at home and they will follow suit when you are out. It is not 2 year old nature to run wild and scream in a restaurant if they only know sitting and eating with the family and nothing else.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 7:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Kudos! Kids that run wild in restaurants more than likely do the same thing they do at home. If you don't teach YOUR child to sit and eat at meal time at home no wonder they act like this is a public setting!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree! Our kids are and never were allowed to get down and run around OR turn around and stare at the table behind them or hang on the booth! Granted, they were a little hard to handle around 1 yr to 18 months, in terms of the possibility of throwing a fit if they didn't get what they want when they want it and so on... but we usually avoided the restaurants when they got to that age.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My kids were always well behaved (even the ADHD one) in restaurants, stores, church, etc. Neither EVER had a temper tantrum either; that is so foreign to me. Of course, I don't think it's realistic to say that everyone's kids could be like that but I will say that a good majority of what I personally witness (BIL/SIL kids) is clearly inconsistent parenting ... for pete's sake, when a parent tells their child to stop (insert inappropriate behavior here) or else such and such (some consequence) will happen and then they (the parents) don't follow through when little Billy continues, what do you expect? The kids never learn consequences for their actions and they learn that mom and dad are pushovers.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree. From birth, my son sat beside us during meals. So, by the time he was old enough to sit in a chair and eat...that is all he did...because it's all he knew.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• well i do agree kids need to be taught proper etiquette.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree 100% its not often that Hubby & I go out to eat that he dont have my 5 year old. Since he was born if we went he went. Hes had a few issues but not like some of the children I see theres day... Little man knows how to behave & mind his manners in a public setting, as well as at home... I wish more parents would take the time to teach them.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You are right about what kids SHOULD be able to do- but let's face it, not all kids do. I wouldn't expect more than an hour-otherwise you're asking for trouble. Besides, I thought the whole idea of eating out was to give the parents a break! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• amen sista...my son never ran wild when we went out...i would have strangers always stopping by our table when he was under 2 making comments at how well behaved he was. It does start at home =) If you can't make them behave at home don't bother taking them out
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• our kid (14 months) eats at home in his high chair, but I would say a restaurant has a lot more distractions for him. he's a nosy child so he wants to see what everyone else in the restaurant is doing, so it makes it difficult to feed him, and he doesn't understand the concept of "inside voice", so when he's excited he lets everyone know. Since it's just my husband and I at home it's not as distracting at home. Made our trip cross country very interesting :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• What our, karma has a way of kicking one who makes such sweeping statements. Including myself. My 2 yr old was a poster child for proper restaurant behavior. Then ADHD started coming into the picture around 3.5. Now @ 4 its practically cruel to take him to a sit down restaurant because we are setting him up for failure. And yes, at home its a littling challenging as well to keep him at the table, but there is less stimuli, he's not called to the table until dinner is done, and when he's done eating he is excused from the table. So... maybe 20 minutes he must stay in his seat veruses an hour at a restaurant with all sorts of stimuli around. That is a HUGE difference. So... either get carryout, go fast food/fazoli's, or we leave him at the grandparents.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010