Are you interested in media reform?

I just thought this was a very interesting article.
http://www.democracynow.org/2008/6/9/moyers

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I couldn't get through the whole article but in essence I think most hope for getting any real factful information out of today's media is nil.
    A majority of people just will not allow themselves to be reduced to puppets these days. I don't see the illusion of popular consent you mention. People are tossing aside their newspapers, canceled their magazine subscriptions and thoughtfully looked for the facts wherever they can more and more these days. I see medias slide continuing as we get closer to the elections as they will once again be subjected to their lies and backward jargon as they try and prevent Republicans from winning the seats that will threaten their very lively hood. I find myself wondering just what kind of media will survive in the future.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with you.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• So it is that democracy without honest information creates the illusion of popular consent while enhancing the power of the state and the privileged interests protected by it. Democracy without accountability creates the illusion of popular control while offering ordinary Americans only cheap tickets to the balcony, too far away to see that the public stage has become just a reality TV set. Nothing more characterizes corporate media today, mainstream and partisan, than disdain toward the fragile nature of modern life and indifference toward the complex social debate required of a free and self-governing people.

In a nutshell, I think this says it all.

jewjewbee

Comment by jewjewbee (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• itsmesteph
    in regards to your statement about magazines and newspapers.....internet will be the number one source of getting their message across. In the form on Communitainment. Just like what we're doing now on CM.
    jewjewbee

Comment by jewjewbee (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't see the illusion of popular consent you mention.

While i very much agree with the semtiment of the article I think it doesn't take the above into account. Also, anarchy (truly by the people and for the poeple) only works with really small communities. The problem with media and politics is that the only way to be truly informed is to be involved...anytime you take someone elses word for it you're taking a chance...but there aren't enough seats at the table.

It's a nice idea, and certainly something to work towards.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• USR..thank you for that answer.
    jewjewbee

Comment by jewjewbee (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It's nothing really knew they just get away with being paranahs easier now.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010